Diesel exhaust systems

You really made a good project there, the more time goes by the more im thinking of an engine swap for mine. Apparently it's much easier and cheaper than upgrading and more rewarding, there's even the possibility of adding a turbo to it, the thought of a small car with easy 250hp just makes me smile a lot :D

Go for it..don’t consider the cost because you’ll never get it back!..it’s all about the enjoyment it brings to you :)...I’ve spent thousands on mine but she’s still got plenty of years left in her yet and when I do feel it’s time to get something else I’ll give her to my son so she stays in the family..:)

It's more of the line of not having that much of a budget rather than getting it back lol i want to keep it forever until death do us part at this point :D

Well in that case spend what you can...I’ve spent more on modifications than what the car actually cost but I did get it at a very low price as I bought it off my best friend ...its all about enjoyment..not cost.. :)

My limited time, budget and inability to find a place i can trust with even the basics of body/engine work leaves me to my own two hands so i opted out for a simpler approach, engine swap and suspension upgrade, that much i can do alone with maybe some help of my friends with the heavy bits just for safety. For the time being im more focused on the details like wiring and the legalities of the modifications, good thing is that there is a plethora of parts out there so im not in a hurry, yet :D

I often wonder if it's possible to upgrade the exhaust system to a better flowing one without making my car into one of those rolling coal type of mess on the road? (huge black cloud as soon as you push the gas pedal)

I'd be interested in some examples of diesel exhaust systems done right and where to find them/buy them (for regular cars not trucks in my case).

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated :)
An often overlooked scenario with diesel engines is they are rarely worked hard enough, and the result is a build up of carbon which settles in the exhaust as sticky powder. When the vehicle is eventually accelerated hard this carbon is burned out and exudes as the cloud of black smoke. A regular treatment of diesel cleaner and a good hard, hot run once a week helps to prevent the dreaded cloud of doom. The exhaust system needs to get upto or beyond 400 degrees to burn the carbon out. Done regularly it will help loads. Run in say third on the motorway for a few miles to really get the exhaust temperature up. Once cleaned out, a regular run is all that's required usually.

Completely forgot about the lazy driving one does in a city, thats a nice opportunity to clog up everything that way even though your car might be in mint condition overall.

No se preocupe por los componentes internos ... los motores diésel soportarán un aumento considerable de potencia.Se construyen mucho más fuertes que las variantes de gasolina debido al par más alto que desarrollan incluso en la forma estándar ... Generalmente son los inyectores los que puede necesitar una mejora para suministrar el combustible adicional.
El mío todavía funciona con inyectores de serie a 180BHP y me dijeron que no debería tener que cambiarlos incluso con el nuevo turbo híbrido y el intercooler más grande ... lo averiguaremos en un par de semanas cuando la ponga en el banco de pruebas. ? ... estoy anticipando que el embrague va a ser el eslabón débil? ...
hola como estas, tengo un motor nissan qd32t dentro de una chevrolet k5 blazer 1982, cuenta con una caja de 5 velocidades de nissan patrol y61 y juego de diferenciales de 4.88, llanta 33 "rin 15, mi motor es turbo y cuenta con bomba de inyeccion mecanica de nissan td27 de alta presion, quiero mejorar el rendimiento de mi motor y poder sacar muchisomos mas caballos de fuerza, me gustaria por favor que me indicaran que kit me recomiendan o que turbo, o modificaciones me recomiendan para aumentar la potencia de mi motor, muchisimas gracias, espero su respuesta

I’ve got a custom made full stainless system with one silencer in the middle…it sounds standard when pottering about but under full throttle sounds awesome…lol..

I often wonder if it's possible to upgrade the exhaust system to a better flowing one without making my car into one of those rolling coal type of mess on the road? (huge black cloud as soon as you push the gas pedal)

I'd be interested in some examples of diesel exhaust systems done right and where to find them/buy them (for regular cars not trucks in my case).

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated :)
Where abouts are you? I just had an amazing system built by Tony Banks Exhausts in Leeds; built be a Turbo back system to my own specs including a 200 cell Cat, although you will need a DPF. cost me just under a £1000 all in.

The black clouds you speak of is often down to poor remapping, over fuelling or not getting the system hot enough often enough. A diesel needs to used, not just poddled about, so if you do mostly town miles, once a week get it on the motorway and give it good hard run for 20 or 30 miles at speed, not speeding. if necessary to keep your revs between 3000 and 4000 rpm, drop down a gear to stay in the limit. This will help to maintain the DPF and stop it fouling up.

Last edited:
Currently i've been looking into some ideas like this https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...sel-particulate-filter-pipe-2-25-2-5-3-0.html

I also had a really dumb idea of taking a bigger dpf filter from another car and do some math and make my own system with blackjack and h*****s that could let me have more power but remain eco friendly to some degree, idk, im waiting for a chance to test things out for now.
Not dumb ideas at all, but you are still going to need to bend, cut, weld sections together. And if you are not an exhaust fitter with all the gear : tubing, bends or a bender, cutting equipment, TIG welder, and car hoist... Oh the list is endless, it will be a nightmare of a job, and that is just to put one together let along getting it to hang right.

I have a Fabia, Tony Banks Exhausts in Leeds built mine for me, it took his best man David 11 hours. It was no mean feat. It is far more difficult than you can imagine, to get it spot on.

My advice, do once and do it right. It'll save you money in the long run.

Yeah that's the way i intend to do it, im well aware of the difficulties so im basically measuring thrice and cutting once on that idea.

Yeah that's the way i intend to do it, im well aware of the difficulties so im basically measuring thrice and cutting once on that idea.
una pregunta, y que diámetro de tubo de escape es conveniente para un motor Nissan qd32t para que tenga una mejora de rendimiento?

One question, and what exhaust pipe diameter is suitable for a Nissan qd32t engine to have a performance improvement?

My car doesn’t have a DPF…and poorly mapped!?…I’ll pass on your comments on to Paul Murray at RS Tuning in Leeds…he does all my mapping on the rolling road…lol..

My car doesn’t have a DPF…and poorly mapped!?…I’ll pass on your comments on to Paul Murray at RS Tuning in Leeds…he does all my mapping on the rolling road…lol..
What sort of response is this, and why? It is not aimed at you or your vehicle, which sounds pretty well sorted. My comment about poor mapping etc. Is a generalised comment regarding the possible causes of huge clouds of black smoke emminating from a diesel engine, and all of my offerings are legitimate.

If you have "clouds of smoke" then your engine might have one of these issues. It has absolutely nothing to do with RS tuning or their mapping, I know for certain they are extremely capable, so please don't twist my words to create ill feeling. This is not my intention, and you know full well, it is not.

If you are dumping clouds of black smoke, and you have no DPF and only a single silencer, then your options are limited and it is clear that when you open the throttle hard, you are injecting a large amount of fuel into the cylinders and before the engine can burn the entire amount efficiently it is pumping some unburnt fuel out into the atmosphere, this comes out as soot (the black cloud) and because you are not running a DPF or more than one muffler most of the sooty deposits are leaving the system rather than being caught up.

This is quite normal for your type of setup. It falls into the over fuelling bracket because this is exactly what happens when you gun it, albeit momentary until the air/fuel ratio restabilises and the engine, and the turbo all catch up with each other.

This is not a slight against you, your car or the mods or tuners. It is a generalised discussion about engines and exhaust systems. Please keep it as such.

Haha..sorry…I thought you was aiming it at me as down the thread I do discuss that I do emit black smoke under hard acceleration but as explained…my car has been extensively professionally mapped by Paul and is running at its optimum throughout the entire rev range…we are neither under or over fuelling at any point!…the car is receiving the correct optimum fuel at all times…Paul just doesn’t do a few runs when mapping my car…he has at times spent hours getting all the perimeters just where he wants them!…and where diesels are concerned…surely you’ve heared The term “ where’s there’s smoke you’ve got poke”…or “ you don’t have poke without smoke “….lol…and just to add…since Paul has been mapping my car my fuel economy is exceptional…
Stay safe…:)

Last edited:
Hi, can anyone give me advice on what diameter exhaust pipeing to use from Cat back on a Renault Clio IV 1.5 Dci. I have had a remap done and pipercross panel filter in.
Would It get away with 2.5 inch pipe and a 5 inch round box?
Any help would be most appreciated.

Hi there…I would say 2” would be more than adequate….My exhaust is 2.5” and is more than enough for all the modifications I’ve had done…

Hi there…I would say 2” would be more than adequate….My exhaust is 2.5” and is more than enough for all the modifications I’ve had do
Thanks for your quick reply, a friend of mine also recommended a 2" Exhaust. So a 2" Exhaust it is then.

I’m sure that will be fine…as a rule of thumb 2” will be more than adequate upto around 300BHP….2.5” upto around 500BHP and 3” if you are going beyond 500BHP….

Hi,

Recently, I got myself a 116d b37 lci1.

As the place I came from, 116d cost around £73k. M140i cost around £123k. So it is impossible to upgrade without paying additional £50k.

In additional, we are not allowed to go catless or use high flow cat as there are government officers checking regularly on the cat as they patrol the road.

The car is equipped with eu5 dpf. So wanted to know will there be any benefit like better air flow if equipped with 120d or 125d dpf since they shared many parts? If I equipped 125d dpf eu3, will the air flow be better and remain smokeless and without smell?

Thank you very much.

From what i could gather, the filter will obstruct the flow no matter how you put it but by how much only engineers could know. On paper a bigger filter with more holes should be better than its smaller counterpart but literally nobody tried it, everyone is just stock or filterless, nothing inbetween.

Th
From what i could gather, the filter will obstruct the flow no matter how you put it but by how much only engineers could know. On paper a bigger filter with more holes should be better than its smaller counterpart but literally nobody tried it, everyone is just stock or filterless, nothing inbetween.
Thank you, was just trying luck to source for info.

I guess it is hard to determine the numbers since even with the engine manual, no further detail was provided.

Hi there Exloser…it’s also illegal here in the Uk to remove cats or DPF’s but what we do is cut them open,gutt out the internals and weld them back up again which makes it look like they are still fitted…lol

Hi there Exloser…it’s also illegal here in the Uk to remove cats or DPF’s but what we do is cut them open,gutt out the internals and weld them back up again which makes it look like they are still fitted…lol
Does gutting smells or produce black smoke? My understanding is that as long as AF ratio is lean most of the time, there should not be any smoke (black or white).

As long as the ratio is good, no visible smoke should appear, as for smells, idk what you are after but burnt fuel smells like burnt fuel.

As long as the ratio is good, no visible smoke should appear, as for smells, idk what you are after but burnt fuel smells like burnt fuel.
Thank you.

I guess just simply not get detected for dpf modification.

Still in the planning stage, may or may not be getting or performing these:
1. Egr disabled
2. Hybrid turbo (more focus on lower rpm)
3. 7.5 inch fmic
4. Customised front intake snorkel
5. Customised aluminium cp and bp
6. Swirl flap delete (after hybrid turbo)
7. Dpf (unknown factor as of now)
8. Engine (not changing camshaft) and axle upgrades
9. Not sure about injectors as 125d is using cri2.20. The other models seemed to be using cri3.
10. Hpfp
11. Remap

May not even be touching 9. and 10..If going lean for gutted dpf.

So gathering as much info as I can for the time being especially on dpf.

Last edited:
Diesel tuning is easy, the only problem is legalities of it. If you remove EGR and DPF you get 10-20% more power right there with a remap (in some cases even better fuel mileage), but upgrading the turbo, injectors and intercooler would result in easy double the stock power after a proper remap. The only real set of problems you might encounter with any diesel is mostly related to correct tuning so it doesnt smoke and can the transmission box take the extra torque, thats about it.

I’ve done most of the modifications you mention ie hybrid turbo,bid intercooler,uprated fuel pump and injectors…water methonal and nitrous injection…I do get a bit of black smoke under hard acceleration but none at all when driving normally..emissions are perfect and fuel economy is a lot better than standard…

Attachments

• BD994B28-8594-4BE3-996D-CB97C39BF204.jpeg
    BD994B28-8594-4BE3-996D-CB97C39BF204.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 0
  • FDD20F73-D762-46EE-903D-C10016226BB3.jpeg
    FDD20F73-D762-46EE-903D-C10016226BB3.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 0
Diesel tuning is easy, the only problem is legalities of it. If you remove EGR and DPF you get 10-20% more power right there with a remap (in some cases even better fuel mileage), but upgrading the turbo, injectors and intercooler would result in easy double the stock power after a proper remap. The only real set of problems you might encounter with any diesel is mostly related to correct tuning so it doesnt smoke and can the transmission box take the extra torque, thats about it.
Yup do agree on the legalities of the upgrades.

I’ve done most of the modifications you mention ie hybrid turbo,bid intercooler,uprated fuel pump and injectors…water methonal and nitrous injection…I do get a bit of black smoke under hard acceleration but none at all when driving normally..emissions are perfect and fuel economy is a lot better than standard…
Nice setup. Thank you for sharing.

Nitrous is too adventurous for me and lazy to refill the methanol. When you mentioned hard acceleration, do you mean launching or flooring?