Diesel exhaust systems

Not much to see to be fair...plus the methanol kit install..

Attachments

• D9EC31E6-CFAF-44E7-93EF-358DAE028AD3.jpeg
    D9EC31E6-CFAF-44E7-93EF-358DAE028AD3.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 996D7FAB-9743-45CA-8D3F-2B1C9D0B9811.jpeg
    996D7FAB-9743-45CA-8D3F-2B1C9D0B9811.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 2
  • CFF05740-8385-4D5A-97D5-93E66F413C94.jpeg
    CFF05740-8385-4D5A-97D5-93E66F413C94.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 2
Mine only chucks out a puff of black smoke when I burry the throttle then cleans up..the methanol kit has also cleaned the emissions further and improved MPG..I’ve never had any issues regarding the MOT...

Sometimes i ask myself why they put all those filters into diesel cars, in most cases it still leaves a black cloud and you guys clearly pass the requirements without them i suppose...

I’m sure I’ve said before..a well tuned engine won’t spew out black smoke?..Take it you wasn’t impressed with the engine bay pics?..like I said..not much to look at..lol..

I guess you're right then, i feel much more comfortable adjusting things now. The engine pics are a bit underwhelming, not gonna lie lol. One could never tell it has so much power from the engine bay alone. On another note, i would like to have the exact same inconspicuous look when im done with mine, it may be better that way, sleepers FTW!

I did say there was nothing to see.lol..but that was my intention as with the intercooler..it’s all been done to look as stock as possible...there go the “SLEEPER “.. :)

Aw man, how i'd like to see it in person, it's probably the best little sleeper on the road there and it isnt petrol for a change.

The car has been running very well with the methanol injection kit..been considering adding nitrous..any opinions?..lol..

I know what you’re saying but people I’ve asked so far have said your car has got full service history and since I’ve had it it’s been serviced every 5,000 miles..diesels are far stronger than petrols so it shouldn’t effect the reliability too much?..

I don't think that you can go past 300 without forged parts though. Given enough time it's gonna be a supercharger spooling a turbocharger soon lol

I’ve seen triple turbo set ups where 2 turbo’s wake a massive one up!..lol..not looking to go beyond 300BHP..maybe just an extra 50/60BHP kick up the backside.. :)

https://i.postimg.cc/50GHNtF7/64856304-10219475132778430-42313468044378112-n.jpg

This is a project from another guy, maybe this gives you ideas lol

So dude took a 1.6 engine, diesel, bore it to 1.7, put bigger pistons, new sleeves, where the ac was now stands a supercharger that feeds a big turbocharger. This is the engine i got in my car and im sitting here just looking how the dude did the whole thing. I probably missed a lot of details, just a disclaimer.

I’m blowing boost hoses off at the minute..I’m running just over 2 bar of boost which is a fair amount..we’ve tig welded a ridge on the end of the boost pipes and double clamped em so hopefully we’ll see the end of that?..nothing worse when some young upstart in his not hatch challenges you only for the boost pipe to let go!..lol :)

https://i.postimg.cc/50GHNtF7/64856304-10219475132778430-42313468044378112-n.jpg

This is a project from another guy, maybe this gives you ideas lol

So dude took a 1.6 engine, diesel, bore it to 1.7, put bigger pistons, new sleeves, where the ac was now stands a supercharger that feeds a big turbocharger. This is the engine i got in my car and im sitting here just looking how the dude did the whole thing. I probably missed a lot of details, just a disclaimer.
Given the choice of aircon or supercharger I'd go with power every time! Sounds like an interesting project thanks for the inspirational heads up!

Given the choice of aircon or supercharger I'd go with power every time! Sounds like an interesting project thanks for the inspirational heads up!

Tuner: How much power do you want?
Me: Yes!

She’s running sweet as a nut..my friend expected some small teething issues regarding the boost pipes..

How much miles you got on your car on that tune so far?

A good few hundred now..I’d even say the fuel economy has improved slightly too...although I was told the methanol kit does have that effect..

To be fair if you aren’t upgrading the turbo the stock intercooler should be more than adequate..I went a bit OTT with mine but we had plenty of room and very little fabrication work to accommodate it...

I'm curious though, what is the "correct" ratio of the intercooler size vs turbo? Does a bigger intercooler on a stock turbo mean more cold air for the engine (maybe lesser engine temp) or is it the same, or maybe even, worse as an upgrade?

An intercooler warms up as it works, the larger it is means it can stay cooler for longer. Add in the extra distance the air has to go, the additional turbulance and you have a need to match intercooler size with requirements for it to stay cool for longer.

Rule of thumb I use is 3 litres of intercooler capacity per 100bhp.

Water or methanol injected on the intercooler can also help to keep it cool and I've seen this done where space was limited for a larger intercooler.

Read our full guide here, if you haven't already.
https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/aftermarket-intercooler.php

I’ve no idea on specifics but the standard turbo will have to fill a larger area which may reduce the effects of the boost that reaches the throttle body?..some may argue it could increase turbo lag where some may say you’ll see around a 5-10% increase in power?..I personally wouldn’t upgrade the intercooler without also upgrading the turbo..but I’m no master on the subject...my car made 40BHP more over stock with the remap alone ..the turbo and intercooler upgrade then took that to just over 100BHP above stock..

An intercooler warms up as it works, the larger it is means it can stay cooler for longer. Add in the extra distance the air has to go, the additional turbulance and you have a need to match intercooler size with requirements for it to stay cool for longer.

Rule of thumb I use is 3 litres of intercooler capacity per 100bhp.

Water or methanol injected on the intercooler can also help to keep it cool and I've seen this done where space was limited for a larger intercooler.

Read our full guide here, if you haven't already.
https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/aftermarket-intercooler.php

Do you have a guide on catalytic converters, types, etc ? I want to find one for a small diesel car but there are only the ones for trucks lol

I’ve no idea on specifics but the standard turbo will have to fill a larger area which may reduce the effects of the boost that reaches the throttle body?..some may argue it could increase turbo lag where some may say you’ll see around a 5-10% increase in power?..I personally wouldn’t upgrade the intercooler without also upgrading the turbo..but I’m no master on the subject...my car made 40BHP more over stock with the remap alone ..the turbo and intercooler upgrade then took that to just over 100BHP above stock..

3l per 100bhp does make sense when you think about it, the only thing that doesnt is the placing of some stock intercoolers, like, almost on top of the engine. One can only imagine how fast it heats up when idling like that.

I know what you’re saying..Subaru Impreza intercoolers sit on top of the engine whereas mine sits across the bottom of the bumper in the main stream of cool air...

There's a reason why moving our top mounts (TMIC) to the front (FMIC) is a common mod for Scooby drivers chasing big power. It's a must for 400+bhp.

5 pages later and my lack of knowledge/experience that started this topic is shrinking at least thanks to various input and information on this forum and page.

I've learned that black smoke is just a result of dumping too much fuel into the engine that ends up unburnt in the process, which was my main concern.

Now for the other parts of the exhaust dilemma, how do you fix the emissions issue that come with an upgraded engine? Can you have a better performance with bigger filters that provide better airflow? My aim is to have a street legal car that i can drive anywhere without being fined.

Diesels have low emissions as a rule...all the modifications I’ve done has not had a negative impact on emissions..my exhaust has one silencer,no DPF or CAT..With the addition of the methanol kit my emissions have actually improved..

I don’t but it flies through what’s called an MOT over here..it’s a test to show your vehicle is safe and fit to be used on the highway...

How you getting on?..I’ve done lots of mods since we last spoke..water/methanol injection kit and nitrous..lol..

Attachments

• F3E24C5F-AAEA-459C-A0FE-B77C4B90F8E9.jpeg
    F3E24C5F-AAEA-459C-A0FE-B77C4B90F8E9.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1
  • E76F8914-47CF-4C1A-8D47-F3F4ACB817DA.jpeg
    E76F8914-47CF-4C1A-8D47-F3F4ACB817DA.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 5C601DA6-9E7D-46F7-BA27-CAFA90CDA259.jpeg
    5C601DA6-9E7D-46F7-BA27-CAFA90CDA259.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2
  • A11BFD6B-2C35-4A05-887C-976D8A2F28AE.jpeg
    A11BFD6B-2C35-4A05-887C-976D8A2F28AE.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 2
Well damn, that has to jump like 300 ponies or something right? The only mods i managed to do was like an android multimedia and the reverse cam and stuff like that, cant go anywhere due to virus outbreak.

We are playing with the jetting at the moment but we should be seeing around those figures?..we too are on lock down but I’m a key worker so at least I’m getting out of the house...