Diesel 2.2 peugeot

Raptor

Car
406 Coupe hdi
Hello,
I am a new member here but by no means new to car tuning.

I have read an article here which relates to my car.
A year 2002 Peugeot Coupe 2.2 HDI. In this article it states very large power figures of 192 bhp and 329lbsft of torque. I have used the search button but so far can not find how this was achieved and by whom.

Details on this re-map and anything else that went with it and who did it would be very much appreciated.
And any other engine tuning ideas.

Thank you for time reading this and also should you reply.

Regards,
Raptor.

Celtic did the work and their spec is 178bhp and 305 lbft. Which is conservative -read on.

My dyno numbers were taken on an exceptionally cold January day in 2007 with a tank of BP Ultimate.

Basically what I think you'll find is that 178bhp and 305bhp are more than readily achieved even on basic fuel and on a very very hot day.

But, the engine is a delight to drive in remapped form with stonking midrange shove.

Hello HDi fun.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me.

I will now go and see what I can find out about Celtic.

Regards,
Raptor.

Thank you for the link to Celtic Tuning.
They have now been and put in a power re-map.
It is very impressive.
Having said that I now have a fault, which I believe is NOTHING to do with the re-map.

This is where I am with the fault.
Tony from Celtic has left the re-map in place. For this 5 hour trip to my place and his work he charged me......NOTHING!
I have been to Peugeot and had all the faults removed, taken the car out again and induced the fault.

The fault.
Change from 3rd to 5th at about 50mph and go to WOT.....bingo! Engine cuts out.
Now I have to turn off the ignition and wait for about 20 seconds before I re-start the car and off I go again.

OK, so car is back now at Peugeot to be fault read and see if they can work out what needs replacing.
Hopefully they can, will do it and I will pay Celtic for their work.

I understand from Celtic that they are moving/have just moved workshops.
Pity, because I am waiting for them to get back to me with a price for a Hybrid-Turbo upgrade and a better clutch unit and then another re-map.
Has anyone had this done yet?

I am happy to spend the money, I know that I would never get it back if I sold the car. I was going to buy a Mercedes CLS 3.0lt diesel.......but they are just a tiny bit too large for everyday parking and that would drive me nuts.
So upgrade my beloved Pug.

On that mission.
Can anyone tell me what are the widest wheels that I can put on my Coupe without any grief.
I would like to keep the tyre profile the same as I like comfort. But I would if needed to, go to a 17" rim and a lower profile.

Suspension.
My car has now done 100,000 miles, yesterday in fact, but is in mint condition.
So I feel that the suspension need replacing.
Well I spoke to Peugeot today...........they tell me that the front suspension leg is internally automatically adjustable. WOW!
Anyway, they are about £450.00 EACH. The rear ones about £150.00 each.

So should I go original Peugeot or other?
I want to keep the comfort I now have. I do not have a REAL need to lower the body.

A pleasant surprise today.
I have ordered through Peugeot new back and base seat foams for my drivers electric adjustable, leather covered seat, not bad at £226.00 the two items. And a real surprise to find that I could buy the real items.

Well.
Any and all help would very much be appreciated if you take the time.

Thank you very much.
Regards,
Raptor.

Good point.
Tony did tell me that.
And to the credit of the mechanic at Peugeot.
He did listen to me when I laboured that point to him. And he even wrote it down on the job sheet.

You've found a good dealer then. Most are like this, regardless of their manufacturer ties. After all, what's the point in grassing you up and voiding the warranty? They lose out as well. And you'd certainly never buy another car from that dealer!

Is your car showing any warning lights? The two I'm interested in are the engine malfunction one, and the (diesel 2.2 specific) particle filter one.

The problem you report is something I've never encountered personally. As such Im interested to know the outcome.

I agree with you in that I think the remap has nothing at all to do with the appearance of this problem.

If the dealer HAS to re-flash the ECU then OK, needs must. Celtic Tuning is run by an extremely helpful bunch of professionals and I'm quite confident they will help you out in providing a subsequent performance map at minimal extra cost. Obviously, you've gotta pay 'em for their initial work at some point. Tony and Graham are brilliant operators who take pride in and enjoy their work.

You will find that they'll work it in at their convenience, so you might wait 2-3 weeks for them to be able wrap in your job with something else that's geographically nearby to you.

What did you think of the performance map whilst it was all working? When mine was done in 2006 I was staggered by the results - take a car that already is respectably lively and then make it GO with a capital F :)

I'm no stranger to 'proper' performance cars but the Celtic tuned 2.2 HDi is lively enough to make anyone wonder if you really need to buy a 3.0 litre petrol car, such is the midrange clout on offer.

My car is a saloon GTX model so it's quite covert. Which can be fun when you go to pass 4-5 cars in one swoop on a derestricted A-road.

Let's get this little issue with the stalling sorted and then you can go out and play with the newfound torque.

OK..here is where I am.
Spoke to Graham at Celtic.
He tells me that he is the one who actually does the writing of the re-map.
Told him the problem.
He is aware of this problem......and here is the GOOD news. Yes he can fix it.

The problem is this.
The re-map creates too much pressure for the old style fuel pump, my style of pump, this then cuts the fuel off.

So Graham can re-write the map so that I still get the same power output but reduce the pressure at the pump to the standard pressure.
To this end I am taking my car to him this Friday.

I shall also then talk to him about the hybrid turbo etc etc.

I have bought some new wheels and tyres. They are Team Dynamic ARNAGE wheels at 7" wide and 17" diameter,
Onto which go 225/50 tyres. Dynamics are OE suppliers for Aston Martin Bentley and Lotus. So they do make a good round, strong wheel.
They also make this wheel so that the offset and inset fit the Coupe as they should, no "shonky" spacers. And they do a very nice Peugeot centre cap to fit the wheel also.
Oh yes this little lot cost £900.00. With Hankook tyres.
Which also come out tops in the quiet road noise tyre charts, which is good.
I have replaced the suspension with standard Peugeot units.
Fitted Brembo vented and drilled front discs with Green Stuff pads.

Thats about it for now.

Regards,
Raptor.

All good - I've never come across the fuel pump and pressure regulation problem with my car. Clearly Graham has, which goes to demonstrate how versatile Celtic tuning is.

THE 17" rims will set the visuals off very well. The only two queries I have are thus:

1. Hanook tyres - not my favourite, although I've not driven on the latest patterns and compounds so cannot comment;

2. EBC pads. I have had nothing but bad experiences with EBC Green Stuff. They were bearable in the Nissan Primera but OEM ones worked far better. Hopefully EBC has revised the compound by now. I tried them all round in the 406 and took them out after a couple of months are re-fitted OEM pads because the EBC ones just smoked once vaguely warm.

Hi there.
I too had problems with an older style of green stuff pad in my TVR Sagaris.
I told them about it and they replaced them FOC with their newer compound and in the TVR they still work very well, I shall see how they perform over the next few weeks in my Pug.

I hope to turn the Pug into a rather special diesel powered car.
Not an out and out road racer, but a very nice good performance every day fast cruiser. I still think that it looks up to date and the new wheels really do set the car of nicely.
My car is a black metallic one and the wheels are gloss black inside rims with polished front face close spokes.

Did they ever do a 2.2 diesel coupe in yellow? I have never seen one for sale.

Regards,
Raptor.

Thanks for reporting back on EBC Green Stuff - I've recently replaced discs and pads all round with ATE OEM items. Next time I'll consider EBC again. It might not be so silly for either of us to consider red stuff for the front brakes.

I doubt that PSA ever did the 406 Coupe in yellow, simply because it was never intended to be an out and out racer. But, a respray is not out of the question.

My 406 Saloon HDi 2.2 is completely standard to look at, with factory 16 inch alloys. It's standard inside as well.

I treat it as a day to day car and I have used it every day since I acquired it in 2004.

THe performance on offer is lovely, the DW12 engine is undertuned at the factory and a custom remap sets it off nicely. My only wish is that Peugeot had made it available with a decent automatic transmission. In fact, it was a manual only model, sadly.

All in all, it makes for a quick and quiet daily drive with more midrange shove than most would expect. I'll qualify that by stating that by midrange I don't mean just 30-50mph. My car pulls very hard indeed from 110mph in fifth gear.

Leave Graham to rewrite the fuel delivery map and you'll have a similar performance frame.

Rgds,

Paul.

Hi there.
When Tony came to my house and did the re-map I was somewhat preoccupied with my other TVR, a Tuscan, anyway he said ...OK it's all done lets go for a spin. So, still with the Tuscan on my mind off we went. Well I looked at the speedo and it said 110mph and it was still climbing. Yes said I, it goes very well, ....Erm, said Tony, you do know that you are still in 4th, don't you? Oooops!

So to anyone reading this...........GET A RE-MAP!
It really is money well spent.

If the hybrid turbo, as Tony says it will, delivers the same increase again, it will be amazing!

As I say I will keep you posted.

Regards,
Raptor.

please do keep us all posted. A hybrid turbo might well suit the DW12 engine. The injectors are supposedly more than capable of delivering enough fuel to make use of it.

Peugeot's engines are also known to be well balanced throughout - con rods and crankshafts are machined to tight tolerances and can stand the extra load without requiring bespoke balancing.

OK, so here I am back from Celtic Tuning and meeting Graham.
A journey of some 600 + miles, but indeed worth the trip.
What a bloody nice bloke. And smart.
He really does know what he is talking about, unlike so many people that one meets these days.
He is very professional and a complete gentleman….more of this later.

So what are the results?

Well, my Pug need some work.
All the injectors are completely worn out and need replacing or rebuilding.
The cutting out problem that I have under severe load.
This is due to the injectors not being able to flow the greater fuel delivery and/or being able to pulse quickly enough.
Also my air flow meter is almost useless.

Graham has eliminated the cut-out fault and almost restored the Pug to its full factory power out puts.

The trip to him and back did enable me to investigate the car after I had replaced the shocks and fitted the new brakes and wheels and tyres.

Conclusions.
I would like to lower the car by one (1) inch front and rear and slightly stiffen the ride.
Using my standard new front and rear shock absorbers…..any ideas please as to what make of springs?
I need to sort out the injectors. Any thoughts on this….new or rebuild?

A few notes here.
The Green-Stuff brake pads…….Oh dear.
The fitting of these. Well they would not fit into the callipers!
To make them fit I had to machine off 1 mm from each end of the backing metal thus reducing them in height/length so that they would slide into the callipers.
Having done that they do work well. Better than standard, well I am not sure about that to be honest.
The Hankook tyres are fine and seem to work very well, oh yes. They are very quiet on a good road surface. But in a multi storey car park sound like the sound track from a bad 1970’s American film!
That is embarrassing.

I will get the injectors sorted this week and also the air flow meter.
Then call Graham and he will get one of his chaps to come to me for the power re-map.

Graham and I have talked about the next stage, in July I hope.
A custom build, not a hybrid, Turbo and yet another re-map.
Plus the organic better clutch to stand up to the extra power.
I forgot to ask him about the exhaust system………any thoughts on that?
Well that covers it for now, apart from this.

I was with Graham for 2.5 hours on his rolling road, how much did he charge me for this and the fault diagnosis?………. NOTHING….that’s right……..NOTHING!
If you can find better service than this guy then tell us all about it.

Celtic Tuning and Graham go well beyond any service I have come across, and I am 55 years old!

Regards,
Raptor.

Celtic Tuning is a thoroughly professional business. I'm surprised by the injector wear. Perhaps it's a good reason for those of us driving diesels to stick with premium fuels. I run on BP Ultimate only and have had no injection issues yet. I'm currently at 128,500 miles.

Let's hope the current EBC Green stuff compound is going to do the trick. From your description of the TVR's behaviour it seems that they've got this one right.

You seem to be making progress with your car, which is all good, and I hope that you get it into a nice state of tune that means it can be an everyday driver with the dynamics that it deserves.

On the tyres note, I used to fit Bridgestone Potenza RE-720s to this car (and my previous one). They, too were fine on most surfaces but occasionally made noises not dissimilar to the ones you might have expected to hear whilst watching the corridor scene in Psycho I

Last edited:
The only thing I would add to this is that you want to lower you car by 1 inch. You may well find that your tired old springs are already sagging by nearly this. You might be dissapointed by the non or negligable drop on 1 inch. (Have a look at the rockape post about his 406 Coupe for more on lowering his car. http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f78/406-coupe-koni-sport-kit-3968/)

Hello there.
Well I had already posted on rockape thread, but no reply.

So I went away and did some research.
Here are the results.

The standard year 2002 Diesel 406 Coupe form Peugeot sits like this on flat ground with half a tank of fuel and the hand brake off.

Measured from the 12 o'clock underside of wheel arch position to the stub axle centre lines.
FRONT 390mm + or - 5mm
REAR 394mm + or - 5mm

My car, now at 100,000.00 miles is as standard settings, still. A testimony to the build quality of the Peugeot.
Furthermore I have now got my old shock absorbers back from being tested. I had replaced them with new standard Peugeot ones.....well, they have nothing wrong with them at all.
More proof of what a well built car the Coupe is.

I have now ordered up a set of Eibach 25mm lowered progressive wound springs. At £220.22p the set of 4 delivered.

The NEW standard injectors are proving to be a bit of a chore to obtain in less than 4 weeks.

They are priced at £200.00 + VAT each. Part # Bosch 0445110036 as engraved on the bottom of the injector.

I do NOT want re-build as rebuilds pay no attention to the porting valve, and Graham is most insistent upon this point............ any ideas please?

Thank you for your time.
Regards.
Raptor.

That is certainly some impressive testimony to the original build quality. The price sounds very good indeed for the new shocks.

Have the green stuff pads bedded in yet? How are you liking them?

Hi there.
Not sure about the pads.
I do not drive on the brakes and I do not "tail-gate". So in retrospect......maybe I should have just stuck with just new origional Peugeot pads.
In fact, yes I should have!

There is lot of rubbish talked about in the so called "tuning" world/industry.
And even at my age I still get sucked in to it.

I am still trying to get the injectors. although I have done nothing for a few days now.
I know of a USA site to go and have a look at that hold the largest selection of injectors in the world..........well they would say that wouldn't they?
They are American!

I have been looking at lots of new cars to replace my Pug.
But you know £40K + is still a lot of money.
and I have to say they all are not quite right for me.
The Mercedes CLS, which I love, is too long. Just a bit. But parking in London in the street it will make a bad difference compared to the Pug.
The new 308 cc is just too bad to look at around the rear wheel 1/4 section.

The Audi rang have seats that will break my old back in very short time.
I had a new 225 TT when they came out and a V6 TT, both where like sitting on a brick. Audi have learnt nothing about comfort.

So this is why I have decided to spend money on my old Pug. Which is still a bloody good car. I mean, what would you replace the Coupe with?
It even still looks just right. Maybe because peugeot didn't design it.
After all most Peugeots like like a joke......wait to be flamed now.

Regards,
Raptor.

Last edited:
Hello there.

Just an update here.
Well I have had no luck in getting my new, not reconditioned, injectors.
The supplier, after 4 weeks has let me down.....talking of which, still no lowered springs, hmmmmm! I will chase that up today also.

So, not wanting to use either TVR as my daily drive, well, I want a sporting chance of getting to where I am going. I got my trusty old 52 plate Rover MOT'd and ready to go.

Now I can let Celtic Tuning have the Coupe and do their work as well as get me some injectors.
So this is why nothing to report on the tuning front yet.

Regards,
Raptor.

Well I called Peugeot Ecosse today about my springs.......ordered on June 18th.......ah yes sir, they came in this morning!...Hmmmmm!
Ok, well I will be getting them very soon, and that is the important thing.

Regards,
Raptor.

My 2.2 HDi died on 24th June. I was on major road (NSL in force) - 3rd party drove straight across me from a T junction without looking or stopping. Managed to hit it in the engine bay side on (5 series BMW) rather than between the doors, which could well have spelled disaster to the passengers in it.

Car is a wreck - total loss insurance wise, as is the 5 series.

All escaped (both cars) with superficial bruises and the odd cut from flying glass. No broken bones, no blood loss etc.

Very lucky for all concerned. I'm lucky to be alive - air bags emerged from all sorts of places - fronts, side of seats, head ones that go downwards etc. Didn't realise there were so many. And those seat belt tensioner things are bloody powerful, too.

Those 406 things are a bloody sight stronger than one would ever imagine a French car to be.

Let's try not to repeat the exercise again too soon.

you could try diesel united in shropshire however i'm not sure they do new injectors though...bilstein dampers go well with those springs so i would recommend those plus we get discount on here as well for them so win-win really

I know this thread to be old but since last posting I have gained some knowledge on the turbo subject,

you can't get a hybrid for it as it has a vnt turbo and places like turbo dynamics only supply brand new units,

However.....one off a 330d e46 with fit !!! it's a GT22 item that will work rather well with your car, also the fuel pump from one of those cars will help with the fueling issue