Diagnostics

dannygunner

Car
Mitsubishi GTO
Hi, does anyone know of a good mobile mechanic in London who works on GTOs. Mine just died on motorway, AA said there was no fuel or spark :sad2: Have bought replacement camshaft sensor as thats what he thought it was, but he was not sure as he had no diagnostic equipment for my car. Was trailered back home but wanted to make sure it was this before I swapped them over. Cheers.

suddenly no fuel or spark happening at the same time.

On any jap car that sounds like an ECU fault quite possibly the immobiliser coming on

yes i would say ecu has died
had same problem with mine,no fuel getting through
have a look at youre ecu ,common problem is capacitors leaking
you can see it if theyre leaking,and it will smell too
good luck

They would probably need a map if they control the immobiliser. Send a PM to countrybumpkin on here if you get stuck, he really knows his GTO's well and runs a motor trade business down in the South IIRC.

i would check everything else before going for an ecu,but nine times out of ten it is
you could give the ecu doctor a ring and tell him the problems youre having
he does a lot of them including mine,and hes a decent chap

Well after finding someone to come and look at
the GTO and them spending over 2 hours looking for the
fault. The GTO is bak up and running :) And the fault?
A 20 amp fuse lol. Most expensive fuse ever.

The drama continues :-( now when I drive the car
the fuse keeps blowing after about 100yrds.
It's the electronic fuel fuse. It idles fine.. Any ideas?

Is it still the 20 Amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box that's blowing ? This picks up a feed from the ECU relay which is situated in the passenger side on the centre tunnel, behind the upright mat trim.
First off, look at the connections for the fuse, make sure that the wires are secure under the fuse box. I have seen some dodgy connections where people have tapped into wires with scotchblocks etc.
You will need a wiring diagram and a multimeter to do a continuity test between the fuse and the relay. Sorry, i can't remember off the top of my head the exact pin on the relay.
Fuses gennerally blow if they are overloaded or have bad wiring in the system which is damaged and earthing out somewhere.

Just another thought, sometimes people tap into the ECU harness itself, have a look at the wires from the unit and make sure that none of these have been pierced or exposed.

Many thanks. It is the 20amp fuse that keeps
blowing. Will check out fuse box and ECU wiring.
Will keep all informed in case anyone else has
this problem.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back