Desperatly need to liven up my family wagon!!!

jscanlan_001

When you have a wife, child and labrador there's only one car for it, a mondeo Estate :oops:

Mine is a MK2 2.5 and it's a fine car for doing the shopping in, taking the dog to the park, embarassing the odd boy racers, but it does get a little boring.

Only mods to it are an induction kit everything else is standard, can someone point me in the right direction to making it a bit more enjoyable when I'm driving it on my own.

Currently I'm watching a set of 40mm lowering springs on ebay :) to hopefully sort out the sea sickness when cornering.

I want it to look relatively standard except maybe some 17" rims and the 40mm lowering.

Everyone seems to know what they are talking about in here so over to you............

I've not worked on the Ford V6 before but done a whole load on the Pintos and rebuilt plenty of camper van engines so I know may way around an engine or two (Or so I think!)

Welcome to torquecars. What about the AUDI RS6 - that comes with leather seats - very practical for cleaning!

What are you aiming at (economy at lower revs and power at peak or just power power power?)

Exhaust needs doing - air rushing in and burning needs the fastest exit possible - a SPORTS cat or DECAT would free up a fair bit of power. I think 40mm lowering is too much especially on 17's unless you get really low profile tyres! I only recommend 30mm especially for an urban cruiser unless the arches currently sit about 7-9cm above the tyres.

Is the induction kit fitted with a cold air feed? The under bonnet temps get pretty high on the V6's.

A couple of fast road cams would also change the performance a fair old bit. If you take off the head a skim and polish up the internals would help too. Depends how much work you want to do.

Ahhh the Audi RS6 is the lottery win car - family estate 400+ hp I like it a lot :)

Power - I am looking for more bottom end torque, in reality I don't get past the 120 4th gives me (Unless I'm on the M6 Toll Road ;) ) so 5th is all about economy.

Plus I can sort of justify the expense of more torque to the wife 'It's better for towing caravans'

Induction kit is fitted with cold air feed.

Exhaust I fully agree with, I've read about people mashing the inside of the CAT to give better flow, but to be honest I don't mind removing them in place of a straight through pipe, and just replacing them for the one day of the year the MOT is due. How many boxes can I take out and which ones?

Do you advices any fast road cams?

Thanks for the advice by the way - I see myself spending a lot of time on this forum :)

Look for a cam profile about 260-270 degrees that should help you get where you want to be (a little faster!).

Audi RS6 in 10 years time (for sale 100k miles £4000!! - just be patient. :rolleyes: Friend of mine just got the S6 for 6k and this goes like a rocket.)

If you take out the front boxes you should be OK Leave the rear silencer. Better still take out the rear silence and replace the front boxes with larger ones - you get a really deep roar!

You could mess with the gear ratios - go for a low 1,2,3 and slightly lower 4th keep 5th as it is you'll trade off top end speed for low down acceleration.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back