Desert Racing

AeroCharon

Wrench Pro
Car
Honda Civic
I live in the LA area and have been doing modifications to cars for racing but I'm just starting out. I've heard there's a desert racing scene around here but I don't know anyone involved. I guess my first question would be, what sort of modifications would be most beneficial for preparing a car for racing in desert terrains? My next question - where can someone go to actually do a bit of desert racing?

Thanks, the roll cage was definitely on my mind. I'm going to have to familiarize myself with my suspension options. Appreciate the tips!

the wheel handlers, change them into longer ones, cars need wideness for off roading, and make sure air filter is placed somewhere higher so it wont suck sand too often and quick.

are you building a baja buggy? I love those! oh by wheel handler i ment for these parts:

aluminium01.gif

they are longer and custom usually, complete with the other parts as a set.

We've been doing offroading (just general offroading, not racing) in our Jeep Wrangler but I was thinking about converting a Honda Civic for desert racing. However, it seems if I did anything serious, I'd have to get it trailered due to California emissions laws so I'm not so sure I'll be going forward with it.

honestly that is not a good idea, since you already have the jeep. jeeps are kings for off roading. how is the jeep, any issues or so? plenty people here customize old cherokees for off roading as well. I would say keep the civic for the road and the jeep for off road, altho don't get me wrong just my opinion, because I don't believe the civic will be good at it

Yeah, maybe you're right. The reason I was considering the Civic is because it's the one I've already done some work on. We haven't really done anything to the Wrangler. It's pretty much driven as is.

, doesn't have to mean. if the jeep runs fine keep it for off roading. what is the engine? 4.0 V8? the jeep could do well with some light mods. while the civic could be a cool road car. I like your jeep, keep it as it is in the outside, inside you could do some light mods to improve handling.

first, can you see the air intake plastic coming at the rear side of front window up, co drivers side? it's something you can do yourself without any bigger issues, like the one in this

87ee3ae4419d82366595c579d236cd86.jpg

front bullbar just requires ideas and weldings.

also outside rollcage for safety, easier to do than the inner one, just make sure to connect it to the strongest places of the chassis, something like this

exojeep1.jpg