Decision time

astravanman

Wrench Pro
Car
vectra 2.6 gsi
Ok new car time, im going to treat myself to a 2007 focus st on fri,thing is there's a 2010 mondeo diesel and a 2011 insignia 1.8 that I like the look of, I do 300 miles a week on pretty poor roads am I going to regret the focus? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

The prblem is that those cars are so far apart that the question is impossible to answer because we don't know what you are looking for

The Focus ST is a great motor with awesome tuning potential but it's made for fun not miles. Having said that I probably do roughly that kind of mileage with plenty of bits and bats added and I see a rough return of about 23mpg. I imagine the mondeo will give you plenty of mileage for your money and probably be a more comfortable ride due to having full thickness tyres as opposed to low profile. Depends entirely what means the most to you and what you're after at the end of the day. Wouldn't bother with a vauxhall mind.

The biggest decision is diesel or not. There's no merit in choosing diesel for lower operating costs but in mainstream cars I think they are, paradoxically, the right choice if you want performance.

200+ bhp is the norm now for high performance 2.0 litre diesel engines - as such you have the driving feel of a 4 litre naturally aspirated petrol engine with all that torque across the rev range.

I love the Insignia always thought it looked more luxurious than it should be and looks like it can pack a real punch!

We get the Insignia here as the Buick Regal. No diesel models here. I've driven one. I don't know if the suspension tuning is different between markets, but the Buick was a LOT of fun to drive. I have heard though that European models are dull... Engine options here are a 184 HP 2.4L, a 220 HP 2.0L Turbo (2011-2013), a 250 HP 2.0L Turbo (2014-present), and a 270 HP 2.0L Turbo (2012-2013. Replace in 2014 by 250 HP model). Trim levels are CX, CXL, and GS (GS being the performance trim)
A Regal Review
Buick Regal GS

From MY impression of the Regal, I would happily recommend the Insignia to anyone, but I cannot speak for the diesel models.

The diesel engines are Fiat derived and I've not driven one either. I've tried one of the M-Jet four cylinder units in an Alfa Romeo - quick but a bit unrefined compared to other four cylinder diesels but this was a few years ago - it's almost certain that the latest incarnations will be much improved.

TN69 seems happy with his CDTi so maybe that's our OP's starting point.

Dont buy an insignia 1.8. Pointless car. Get a 2.0 cdti 160. Then get thorney to do a warranted remap to around 190 bhp and enjoy both power and economy. This is my plan.

Sounds sensible. The petrol units are rubbish. I drove a VVT-i Vectra estate with the same 140bhp 1.8 litre engine. Slow. Noisy. Thirsty.

Sounds sensible. The petrol units are rubbish. I drove a VVT-i Vectra estate with the same 140bhp 1.8 litre engine. Slow. Noisy. Thirsty.

Like I said, the petrol engines they use in the American market aren't bad. Not sure if you guys get those engines though.
2.4L?
I'm sure you must be able to get it with the 2.0L Turbo. I wish GM would offer the Regal here with the Insignia VXR's turbocharged V6.