Torque Cars

Deciding what car next to buy

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by obi_waynne, 12 August 2008.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    How do you decide which car to buy next.

I think that people fall into 3 categories.

1) Sit down research and find a specific model/engine and then hunt for the right one.

2) Just look around and see what turns up then do the research for the prospective car.

3) Stick with a specific make of car and just get this every time

I'm a bit of a 1 really. When I got the A3 I looked at the stats (mpg/0-60|BHP) and shortlisted the A3 1.8T and the Civic VTI-S, it was then when I looked at the tuning gains on offer that I plumped for the A3.

I wanted 5 doors which restricted me to 2000 onwards and I wasn't to fussed about the colour (and ended up with purple!)

2. Prince

Prince Torque King

Northampton, England
    Car:
    BMW E36 318is Coupe
    I just happened to find my Civic by stroke of luck one night. I was bored and looking around on AutoTrader and stumbled across it. I had also been looking at A3s, but the newer ones, and after researching both I decided the Civic was the right option. When I bought my Corsa I also got lucky finding it. I went to view a 106 and the Corsa was sitting in the same yard. The 106 was a heap but the corsa was in great condition so I got that.

So I think I'm more of a '2'.

3. nseries

nseries Tuner

Brunei
    Car:
    Lancer GLX 95
    When i got my Lancer,i was aiming to mod it to be one of the EVo family.But untill today,it's still in stock condition..hehe But im still a fan of an EVO,so i definitely will go for EVO IX or EVO X for my next car.

4. lutonmatt

lutonmatt The Torque Meister

chatham kent
    Car:
    82 trans am kitt
    well none of them i go on when i mot it do i like it yes i get that car or one like it

never hunt one down only look at prices but then travel less the 20 mile to get it as its time with me
    5 of my cars i got through the garage by moting them or traders we do work for one 2 of my cars have i got off a front but then know of them and get money off

5. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Quite fancy a Passat CC

6. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Welcome to the wonderful world of VAG HDi! I guess you've done the reasearch then. Not a bad choice.

7. Hayley1

Hayley1 Road Burner

Somerset
    Car:
    Vauxhall Astra SXI
    I knew the make and type i wanted, so I waited 5 months till I found the right one, not sure what number that makes me.

8. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Hi Waynne, just for the record I'm no stranger to VAG's models and engines. I just happen to have a French car at the moment. I've driven several over the years and most impressed me, apart from the ploddy 115bhp TDi PD Passat in late 1999. My favourite VAG engine is the V5 petrol unit, not a road burner but quick and it makes a lovely offbeat howl when you let the revs rise. The 10 valve one is sweeter in my opinion.

9. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Hdi - I would certainly agree on the V5 engine.

Hayley - it makes you a very patient 1

10. kai_mitsurugi

kai_mitsurugi Tuner

Swansea
    Car:
    Skoda Fabia vRS
    Im more of number 1. I'm currently looking for a Skoda Fabia vRS. I know what prices they are, stats, etc but they are like rocking horse s**t to find and when you do there's either something wrong with it or they won't come down on the price. There's me thinking car garages were desperate for a sale! "Credit Crunch" my ar5e.

11. Porschester

Porschester New member

Car:
    noneyet
    guys whats the best car to get if i want to chip it immediatley .. i'm looking for maximum power and (way) over 400nm of torque I'm looking at hot hatches .. please advise ..

12. 2fast2catch

2fast2catch Torque Master

the moon
    Car:
    punto
    Im just a 'ooooooooooooo i like that one' then 2 mins later 'oooooooooooo i like that one better' for about 2 days then i normally choose a couple check insurance prices and go from there :)

but then again i am female so im allowed to be awkward :)

13. Porschester

Porschester New member

Car:
    noneyet
    how about the vauxhall astra? i talked to a tuning company and they can get the 1.9cdti to 420nm of torque .. fast as a focus ST or mazda 3 MPS .. whats the female opinion on this ;o)

14. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    id say mk 4 vag (golf, bora, leon, etc but not audi ) most have at least one car with the 150bhp engine,except audi.

much the same as the vauxaul engine but better built

15. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    if your wanting insane Bmw 335d
    is a good option even as standard

16. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    335d is a lovely machine. Effortlessly fast (must have an auto, not sure that a manual is available even) and near silent with it. Straight sixes are always a nice drive.

17. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    We shouldn't really discount the 125d which has a 2.0 twin turbo engine instead of a 2.5 litre which some ill informed people seem to think.

18. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    much like the 123d then :wink: