Decal painting

Hansi

Track Warrior
Car
Getz GLS 1.6
I've been trying to draw out wich appearence looks I'm going to do first when I get a car. I have'nt got one yet but I'm hoping to buy one wery soon.

Now, down to the point of this thread. I am planing to spray a picture on the hood of the car. I'm going to buy this small airbrushing tool and cut the form out of cardboard or paper and use that to keep to the original picture. I was thinking of using this black model paint and a clear cote for a model as well, it says it can be used for plastic, wood, metal and many other things. Do you think this kind of paint would be allright or should I try to get some real car paint?(I've no idea where I can get the car paint :? )

Bonnets can get pretty hot so I would say stick with proper car paint. Ask your local bodyshop and I'm sure they can mixup some colours for you on a small scale which you can use.

But would I need to sand it because I'm just planning to do the decal and I don't want to have to paint it all again.

I would clean it weary well but I don't know if that would be enough

i know that you said you may struggle to car paint but what about getting the picture made up in vinyl so its just a case of washing the bonnet and applying the vinyl.

don't know if you would have problems finding this. might be able to find somewhere on the net which you could send the picture to and they make up the vinyl.

Well, I found a few companies that could do it for me here in Iceland so that shouldn't be a problem, but if I'd paint it, wouldn't I need to sand it first

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand what you said there. What is "adhesion" and when you say removing the wax should suffice is that the clear cote or just the polishing wax on the paint! :?

Hansi said:
I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand what you said there. What is "adhesion" and when you say removing the wax should suffice is that the clear cote or just the polishing wax on the paint! :?

better adhesion means that the glue will stick better so less likely to fall off

you car will no doubt have been washed polished waxed during the time before you buy it all the wax and polish or even dirt and tar off the road will leave a film on the paint work this would all need to be removed before the paint would stick. otherwise it might just flake off