Dealing with tailgaters

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How do you deal with somone who is tailgating you (driving far too close behind?)

I adopt the mantra, i'd rather have a moron in front of me than behind me and give him an overtaking opportunity. More often than not they don't seem to know how to overtake.

The old trick of slowing up a bit, then briskly accelerating and flashing the brake lights on seems to encourage them to keep their distance for a bit.

depends what i'm driving and where i am. Going past the house is a 40mph zone, often get tailgating through this area so if coming up to the house entrance then just slam the brakes on, if they hit then 100% they are to blame.

I slow right down, and if I can I stop, I get out, open the boot or tailgate and ask if they want to get in.......................

I slow right down to about 10 mph, then when they have an overtaking opertunity speed up. There is no chance they will out accelarate me, and after doing this about 27-30 times they usually stop!! :bigsmile:

I slow right down to about 10 mph, then when they have an overtaking opertunity speed up. There is no chance they will out accelarate me, and after doing this about 27-30 times they usually stop!! :bigsmile:

this can be dangerous :/

i just tend to slow right down and when the over take just wave at them

this can be dangerous :/

i just tend to slow right down and when the over take just wave at them

Can be, but sod em. People try it on all the time. Why on earth do they think, in there crappy little 1.2L clio, they can race and beat an evo?? Come on, its not even fair game.

When I had my corsa, the fog lights were on both sides of the light cluster and just below the brake lights. So when they get pretty close I just tootle along at the same speed and put the rear fogs on for a second - and then watch the gap increase :amuse:

Nowadays I adopt a similar method to BBJ! It winds them up no end (probably to a point where they are more likely to crash) but, that's their prerogative.

That's the daftest thing about it. My 528i isn't the world's quickest car but it's far from the slowest as well (60 in under eight seconds, which is respectable enough).

So why do idiots tailgate in silly little 1.0 Clios and Saxos? That's the answer, - because they're idiots.

Then again, I wouldn't be too happy with a Evo on my bumper either ;) but people who drive Evo's and other exotic machinery are somewhat brighter than the 1. brigade and probably wouldn't tail anyway

Honestly if I have someone on my bumper I just completely ignore them. It annoys them much more than they annoy me.
There has only been one time when I lost it and that was a moped rider.
Lets just say he couldn't wear his helmet for a few weeks after.

I was on the commute home from work in the Discovery one evening a week or so ago, was in the fast lane of the A3 heading south as I was overtaking a slow van, was only doing around 65mph. A VW passat estate pulled out right infront of me without indication, needless to say I was right up his backside as I had no warning he was going to do this. The cheeky sod brake tested me and started 'magicing the beans at me! I clearly told him what I thought, he was reading my lips..............he then started waving his hands again so I blew him a kiss............he then for some reason pulled over and I passed him. Perhaps he saw the big stainless bull bar bearing down on him propelled by 2 1/4 tons of Landy!

Can be, but sod em. People try it on all the time. Why on earth do they think, in there crappy little 1.2L clio, they can race and beat an evo?? Come on, its not even fair game.

well you know that and they should know that so i would just let em pass, cos you know you have the power to destroy there little heap of poo, just sit back and smile, then wait till you get on motorway then say bye bye :lol:

would you class a 172 as crappy :p

I've got a safety doodad on my high level light that flashes for five seconds when I first touch the brake. A quick stab of the brake pedal is usually enough to make them move back.

I find lorry drivers are the worst for this when travelling in speed restricted sections of motorways, it's as if average speed camera's don't apply to them.
th00afe924.gif

I don't mind them overtaking - it's when they sit there for miles and miles and still don't overtake despite there being ample opportunities to do so.

but people who drive Evo's and other exotic machinery are somewhat brighter than the 1. brigade and probably wouldn't tail anyway

Thanks HDI :bigsmile: Thats probably one of the nicest things you have said to me!

And your rite, I don't. There is no need. Plus, If I go down the alter the volume on my sterio and bump into the back of the car in front, then It will be me to blame.

well you know that and they should know that so i would just let em pass, cos you know you have the power to destroy there little heap of poo, just sit back and smile, then wait till you get on motorway then say bye bye :lol:

would you class a 172 as crappy :p

Nhe, they are pretty mean. Nippy up to 60 like, and handle quite well. I had a bit of a....Well, not race, a bit more of a ''who has the biggeste chestnuts'' copotition with one in my mazda about 2 years ago. He was hard to shake, but I had him over the round abouts. :D

well glad i have some of your respect ;) i hate clios and saxos and corsas really, i understand that they are a good first car for insurance , but as i said to my gf, its not just a clio its a 2.0 rocket! :D

anyway more on topic lol

i dont see the point on tailgating, it doesnt get you anywhere more often than not when they over take they get caught behind the car in front and you catch up, its like "oh wow you really got far"

or my favourite instance the have to stop at traffic lights, where i can pull up along side then and zoom infont :lol:

well glad i have some of your respect ;) i hate clios and saxos and corsas really, i understand that they are a good first car for insurance , but as i said to my gf, its not just a clio its a 2.0 rocket! :D

anyway more on topic lol

i dont see the point on tailgating, it doesnt get you anywhere more often than not when they over take they get caught behind the car in front and you catch up, its like "oh wow you really got far"

or my favourite instance the have to stop at traffic lights, where i can pull up along side then and zoom infont :lol:

Overtaking does not involve tailgating. Most tailgaters never manage to overtake. In my experience they're not usually looking to do so, despite being offered several opportunities to do so.

It's the mindless ****wit mentality with which we're dealing that bugs me.

Last edited by a moderator:
rofl

wooo saaaa hdi deep breaths :)

i think in there minds they want to overtake but dont have the balls to do it, i must admit when i over take my heart tend to beat faster, i have know idea why, i just get a rush (only on single lane roads) its very odd :s

i think in there minds they want to overtake but dont have the balls to do it

No, I disagree vehemently - they don't want to overtake - they just think that it's important to be close to the car directly in front.

It's mindless ****witism at its worst.

Last edited by a moderator:
HDI, its probably a case of the tailgators trying to show off what little skill they have. They cant handle a car round corners, or know how to accellarate proply, or how to overtake, or how to judge other cars/speeds or anything ells, that makes you a good dirver. There only skill is something that a 3 year old can do. Drive really close to the car in front, that is, untill the car in front brakes.

Knuckle heads, is a term I use to describe them.

HDI, its probably a case of the tailgators trying to show off what little skill they have. They cant handle a car round corners, or know how to accellarate proply, or how to overtake, or how to judge other cars/speeds or anything ells, that makes you a good dirver. There only skill is something that a 3 year old can do. Drive really close to the car in front, that is, untill the car in front brakes.

Knuckle heads, is a term I use to describe them.

I know exactly what you mean.

Just how much skill does it actually take to pilot a modern car through a corner, anyway? As you say, it's not beyond many 3 year old children.

(I had a different term for the syndrome you describe but received a finger wagging from Waynne for using it. Sorry to anyone I might have offended.)