de-restricting airbox

tomsa3

Tuner
Car
a3 1.8T
hey i was wonderin if its possible to derestrict the airbox on my a3? if yeh how would i do it step by step help would be ideal :D:D

Some have noted gains by taking out the veins that run inside the air box. You'd need to use a chisel or something sharp and take your time.

You could also fit a VR6 snorkel to the intake (goes into the wing) as this is bigger and allows the air to flow a bit more freely.

Hope this helps.

I find the best option is to get a cone filter that fits inside the airbox.
There is also a strange thing called a 'wak box' or something that a friend showed me recently where you drill a number of holes, all different sizes in certain places. I just told him, waste of time and destruction and gave him a cone filter.

Last edited:
thanks for all your help read up on cone induction but decided better to keep standerd air box soo ill just de-restricct that and get the bigger vr6 snorkle thanks for your help :D

thanks for all your help read up on cone induction but decided better to keep standerd air box soo ill just de-restricct that and get the bigger vr6 snorkle thanks for your help :D

Really!!! :blink::confused:

I would have thought that would have restricted the air even more. Some times even if you remove the air box all together, as the air flow around the engine bay isn't that great, it struggles to take air in and some even notice a loss of power. Although it will sound slightly gruntier.

the V6 snorkel is the intake to the airbox. i still use my r32 snorkel and air dams to get cold air to my CDA

the difference between the 1.8t and 3.2 can be seen by looking back through some of my old threads when i swapped mine. roughly twice the diameter

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back