Day out @ Area Motorsport/DRM

MasterAuron

Very Senior Member
Car
Mk1 Focus RS
Okay, finally got my geometry and corner weighting done at Area Motorsport/DRM in Kidderminster and I must say....I can't recommend these guys enough. They have an awesome setup and some tasty things going on in there. So friendly and really know their stuff.

Pulled up and just outside was this little beasty:

151020111299.jpg

This EP3 is Area's own car and Dan told me they are building it for "a mission" as he told me. Equipped with a Precision turbo on stock bottom end plus loads of tuning goodies and Nitron coilovers with seperate canisters this beast was tasked with taking the fastest road-legal FWD lap time at the ring! Dan also said he was expecting 400hp at ust 7psi :eek: We shall see!

151020111301.jpg

Walked in to see one of DRM's more recent purchases....

151020111300.jpg

Needing an estimated £20k in repairs after being run off the road in France when it was being delivered to them and ending up on its side! Fook!

It was turning out to be a good day out before they even touched the car LOL. Then we got the car up on't ramps and set out all the corner weighing equipment:

151020111303.jpg

Lowered it down for a first check and Dan said "Who fitted these?"

151020111302.jpg

Interesting to find out the car was already at 50% diagonal weight distribution. Perfect! However this would change slightly with 70kg ballast in drivers seat and after Geo setup. Also, the total weight of the car was 1243kg's with just over half a tank of fuel, my DSLR and WALLET in :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, we sorted out the Geo after fitting my sexy rear toe arms...

151020111304.jpg

Then banged it back on the scales with 70kgs ballast in and the distribution had changed to 50.7%, still not bad! Dan fiddled with the front coilovers a little and there it was, back at that magic 50%. I payed my money and went on my way.

The car now drives and handles INCREDIBLY. The balance is spot on and the car corners better than it has ever done. I would highly highly recommend Area to anyone that has the adjustment to achieve a great setup. Get in!

Very nice MA ;) how much did you have to stump up for the works and how long did it take to do? That rear toe arm looks like a valuable aid, is that for RS only?

Think that fits all Mk1 Focus'. Erm it was £160 IIRC. Can't remember how long it took, maybe 2 and a half/3 hours including cutting off a seized bolt on the standard arms and fitting new ones.

Definately worth it if you have enough adjustment on your suspension. You can spend thousands on suspension but if you geo isn't right it's all for nothing!