Daves Cooper S

The old discs were glazed beyond anything... oops.

Green stuff pads and new brake fluid and bleed and the car stops very well! Even better when they are hot! :)

Not a bad read that. Sorry to hear everything went tits up for you but at least you're back on track now. What's the maximum output you can get from yours?

Not a bad read that. Sorry to hear everything went tits up for you but at least you're back on track now. What's the maximum output you can get from yours?

As mine is a standard Cooper S, the exhaust and turbo ports are terribly matched so flow isn't great and the turbo is smaller by a few mm. Max HP on a Cooper S with similar mods to mine is about 240-250 Flywheel and about 225bhp at the wheels. Mini's suffer minimal drivetrain loss which is good :)

You've not wasted any time getting back into mods and I'm really glad things are looking up for you now.

Thanks Waynne! just need to find time now to save and purchase more modifications :)

LOL... I know :) They are very fast little cars once modified. Pretty quick standard, mind!

Some people have Forged them and are running like 350bhp with a larger turbo.

Anyway... So much clutch has pretty much gone and my car sprung a nice big coolant leak from the thermostat housing. So purchased a new one and will fit once it arrives.

As mine is a standard Cooper S, the exhaust and turbo ports are terribly matched so flow isn't great and the turbo is smaller by a few mm. Max HP on a Cooper S with similar mods to mine is about 240-250 Flywheel and about 225bhp at the wheels. Mini's suffer minimal drivetrain loss which is good :)

hi mate good to see you back and still modding the motor, just read this bit above can you not get the ports matched/maybe enlarged on the exhaust/turbo etc to sort the flow issue or is it not worth it?

The exhaust ports on the head are fine and the overall design of the head is pretty good.

The issue lies with the manifold and turbo.

The manifold ports do not match up with the head too well and the twin scroll turbo ports do not match true with the manifold. haha... Bit of a mess. Cheap, mass production parts.

The only proper fix is to purchase a Factory JCW manifold and Turbo.

Alternatively, find a crashed DS3 racing or Pug RCZ-R manifold and turbo, which seems cheaper then an aftermarket option and with a bit of fettling, works fine and is capable of over 280bhp.

now im with you mate, its a shame that they did that but as you say mass prduction etc.

the last option you give there sounds a good way to go if your wanting a few more ponies for a knockdown price over the aftermarket kit.

Thermostat fitted, bled and running great. No pictures as it was a ball ache of a job but car is going in for the new clutch tonight! Cannot wait!

Yes and no.

Discs are superb but the green stuff pads are a let down after a while! Need new ones.

Clutch is awesome, went to Leeds the other week and bedded it in and the bite is amazing.

So... Alot has happened as most of you know and I am getting fed up of having to scramble in and out of such a small car with a 3 year old and baby seat, so been looking to sell my beast.

After much who-Ha and trying to decide between an Audi A4 1.8T, Audi S4 2/7 Turbo, BMW 530D and a Vauxhall Vectra VXR..

I am going to save for a Saab, after reading Dave's 2.8litre Turbo monster 9-3, I checked insurance and cannot get insured, so the 2.0litre turbo will have to do! :) Very underrated cars I think and pretty to cheap.

Cost too much to run (Didn't use it that often) and put my back out getting a child's seat in and out every now and then!

There are quite a few people reading this thread looking at the stats but we've not had any updates from you in a while any updates on this project - or have you moved on to another one?

What are your plans for the future?

No more updates with this my man, feel free to close, but keep pinned? Some good info in here incase any one else wants advice on Mini tuning.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back