Dat freeze!! and pending work on the Scoob...

Lunchmoney

The Torque Meister
Car
'98 JDM Impreza STI
I broke my car last week.
Regular readers may remember I had horrible battery issues last winter that was finally solved with an Optima Redtop battery.

Last week on Monday, when it was quite frosty, my battery was dead. Bloody annoying to say the least.
I get my neighbour to bring her car around and start to try to open my bonnet. I say try as we failed; it was frozen solid.

Later that evening I get it open but to find I cant close it again! (I would later be told that I have broken the slam plate. I didn't even know that was a thing until now. Apparently it's quite hard to break these things, but that I didn't know that and went ahead and broke it anyway.)
A few phone calls later and recovery to my garage is arranged.

My service and MOT is due anyway so I thought I'd get that done at the same time.

Couldn't get in for MOT until today.

It failed :(

But not on what I thought it would fail on. For the last few years there has been advisories on rusty front cross members. I thought I was going to have to get that fixed/replaced.
It failed on a blown headlight (they were fine last week, but the power surging from battery may have blown one, anyone's guess) and both passenger tyres "bulging and fit to burst."!!

Quite alarming!

But on reflection not totally unexpected as the passenger side tyres have been rubbing on the arches lately when cornering aggressively.
Which confirms that my suspension is borked, though not in a place to fail MOT yet.

I've had plans to replace my suspension with a Pedder's set for some time. And it turns out to be a bit cheaper than replacing all four corners with OE. Nice :)
And then I find out my mechanic has a contact with Pedders and has worked with them before, so they know the gear and also recommend them. Happy coincidence :)
So that's the suspension sorted. Fixing an ailment that was causing bad symptoms.

All four tyres get replaced with wet weather Uniroyals. Fixing the symptoms.
Slip a new bulb in. MOT sorted.

We then move on to talking about the service.
I've had the car 5 years and covered about 23k miles. Every year we've just done an "interim" service; basic stuff like oil and filters etc. Probably about time to do a full service and include brake lines, gearbox fluids etc. Brake fluids.... huh that might explain why my brakes feel a bit spongy. Yeah, lets get all that sorted while you under the car anyway.

All in this has come in a bit over what I budgeted, but needs must and all that.
Parts arriving after the weekend means I'll be without my car for another week, on top of the two I've been Carlos Walker already. I might need new shoes soon.

Oh, and they still can't trace the battery drain, though it has not drained in the time it's been with my mechanic.

I am so glad I do not have you're luck LM, I would never win the lottery :lol:
All these things are set to try us sir, trust me I know. There are times when the Beast throws a proper Diva like temper tantrum the little @/!&% but I still love that car to bits :)

I'm looking forward to getting it back. With this work it feel like a different car; better handling and brakes, slightly lower stance. At least it better, the amount of money getting poured in!

Oh, and we've got an ETA on our flat sale/house move - 3 weeks time. Perfect timing to really stress the wallet :lol:

Good work on the car and congratulations on the house move/sale. You'll be all set and ready for summer.