Dastek uni chip?

deedee

Car
GOLF GT TDI ( 130 )
Can anyone explain what this is? I got told about it last night by a mate who got his car mapped then got asked if he wanted to buy the unichip?

I dont understand what it does?

How does it work?

I read on turbo charged cars it can add up to 25% more bhp. Does that mean is you get your car mapped say to 160 bhp then get the uni chip which say added 20% more power which is 32 so you would end up with 192 bhp? or is it not quite as simple as that.

I was looking at getting my car mapped but then heard about the unichip?

in simple terms it is a programable (mappable) piggy back chip that works in conjunction with the original ecu, can be set up to controle turbo, nitrous launch controle etc. I use one on my supercharged Marea.

so how does it effect performance is it better to put it in after a remap? or using it instead of a remap?

I wouldn't have thought you would need one on VW TDI engine, the only reason I have one is because my ecu is not mapable

so is it just the same as a chip instead of a remap?

One of my mates got his car remapped then sadtek tryed to get him to buy the unichip after?

Any ideas?

mate a preformanc chip and remap are the same thing just done in 2 different ways
1 replaces the standard mapped chip - this is more older cars pre 2000
1 changes the map by updating the map through the diagnosic OBD2 port - post 2000 cars

It's a piggyback. Quite good for what it costs actually. If you just want a remap and it's possible on your existing ECU, I wouldn't bother tbh. Unless running something outside of the existing ECU's capabilities.

its just when my mate got offered it, he got the car mapped by celtic in glasgow ( they have a partnership with a4audi ). They sayed they would get his car to 155bhp. So he got it done and took it to dastek for a RR to see what it was putting out. This is the bit i dont really understand, he got told on the phone it was putting out 162 bhp and 200 and something lbs/ft torque but on the graphn it sayed it was only putting out 130 but he already had an exhasut system, bmc panel filter and EGR valve blocked so in terms of figures the map has added very little power if any but you can feel it. So he had sayed he got quoted 162 but he put it down to 130 to try and get him to buy the Unichip to increase it to around 162 i would think. So is it like haveing 2 remaps?

he got told on the phone it was putting out 162 bhp and 200 and something lbs/ft torque but on the graphn it sayed it was only putting out 130 but he already had an exhasut system, bmc panel filter and EGR valve blocked so in terms of figures the map has added very little power if any but you can feel it.

was the 130 at the wheels or the flywheel ? if it was at the wheels then the 162 could be at the flywheel

just noticed that you said celtic in glasgow, i was going to go there for mine but wasnt sure if 225bhp and xxxft/lb was going to be safe for my clutch.

Chip tuning and remapping have the same effect overall. It's just the method by which the control data is altered.

Plug in piggyback boxes are a very bad idea in my opinion. They work by interfering with the ECUs input data. This is NOT the way to tune a car unless you like black smoke, poor economy and lumpy performance.

Plug in piggyback boxes are a very bad idea in my opinion. They work by interfering with the ECUs input data. This is NOT the way to tune a car unless you like black smoke, poor economy and lumpy performance.

Don't know where you've heard that but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a decent piggyback. How many cars do you know that have run on Dastek or jap piggybacks such as E-Manage?

Don't know where you've heard that but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a decent piggyback. How many cars do you know that have run on Dastek or jap piggybacks such as E-Manage?

I didn't hear it anywhere at all. My statement is based upon my own thoughts and research. I certainly wouldn't do so with high performance diesel engines given the ridiculous way that Brussels has imposed emissions laws.

Not yet, anyway. Let's see a few test cases at the roadside first.

My ECU is a hybrid Denso ECU and thus can't be remapped easily (a few have plugged into my ECU with no luck :sad2:), so the Dastek is looking to be the only real option for me. I'm fitting an uprated IC and a hybrid turbo so a remap of sorts is essential. I'll be taking my car to Dastek in Scotland as I've had a long chat on the phone with them and they seem to know their stuff. However I am waiting on info from RS Tuning in Leeds who might be getting in kit to read and write to the Denso (probably because of the GTR and 370z).

As people have said though, if your ECU can be remapped, do that and don't bother with a piggyback. If RS Tuning pulls through I'll be going for the remap over the Dastek (not that piggyback systems seem bad, it's just I've got a better feel about the actual map being altered rather than tricked into a higher tune so to speak). I've also heard great things about RS Tuning.

On a plus for the Dastek though, the idea of Launch Control does appeal :bigsmile:

I've heard that some of the Toyota D4D cars are impossible to remap traditionally (as if remapping is traditional!).

Does the launch control do literally what I think it does? Ie manage torque via the traction control and give you max available shove according to conditions?

From a standing start, basically yes. I'll be getting it on the GT. You can fully depress the throttle and is cuts revs at a set level, then controls the traction and revs. Using full throttle also builds up boost pressure for instant boost straight off the line.

It would go nicely with a clutchless gearbox. Just like F1.

You can't build up much boost with an engine that's not under load, regardless of revs. I suppose you could hold it on the brakes and let the clutch soak up the load.

Smokey though.