Dashcam prosecutions

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It seems that some forces are encouraging drivers to submit their own dash cam footage of bad driving and then proceeding to prosecute the drivers.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you know which forces are actively supporting submitted evidence?

Are dash cams a good thing or will they just lead to vigilantism and drivers taking risks to get "shocking footage of near misses" by failing to give way or slow up or swerving towards the car to create the impression of reckless driving?

Do you have a Dashcam and would you like your local force to take your evidence and prosecute the bad drivers?

I have shown 3 really serious red light runners to the police who downloaded the footage onto their computer to follow up.

By that I mean they were well behind me in another lane and when I stopped they went flying past thru the intersection.

One only has to view dash /crash cam videos to wonder how exactly they were tested prior to being handed a licence..V(

I would if it were necessary. Why else have them? Most footage is idiotic driving not enough to follow up. But if there was something excessive that needed addressing I would probably send it in. I tend to use it for my own piece of mind in the event I was caught up in something nasty.

Had one fitted when I bought the current transport - 13 reg Focus 12 months ago. In the event of a prang it would provide incontrovertible evidence for the insurance company. An invaluable accessory in my opinion.
I'm a newbie on the forum and clearly there is a lot of info here from experienced folk and I look forward to learning a bit!

I've had MiVue dash cams for several years now in my car and work van. It has an excellent quality picture like most cams do but it also records speed, GPS tracking and gforce to give a complete breakdown of all information police would need. I would send in footage if I thought it was necessary but I can also see the system being abused by trolls like social media has.