Dash cams, are you getting/do you have one?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Just wondering how many on here have had a dash cam fitted or are thinking of getting one?

They can help provide evidence when a car is involved in an accident, they can also assist in the prosecution of bad driving but would you turn your footage over to the police if your dash cam picked something up?

Mine and the wifelet's car both have MiWitness, front and rear, cameras. 24hour recording, event record saving and all in HD. The units are about 3 inches long, 1 inch wide, and sit in front of the rear view mirror. The rear camera is about half that size and the eye just glides off it - out of sight and no need to worry about it :)

Both of us have submitted footage to insurers as witnesses, thankfully not needed them ourselves yet. I've not submitted anything to the police but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do anything even if I did (plus whilst I keep thinking to myself that I would download my footage, collect a montage of idiot drivers and post on Youtube, I keep forgetting).

Going to get two, one for the front & rear. Currently stuck on making an informed choice as there is a bewildering array available on the market :confused:

I've got a Nextbase 512G at the front currently. Thing is I'm not sure it just solidly records. I think it loops every 5 minutes or something. Then you press the caution button to save that. The wife said she got me it because it didn't do that though but the instruction manual was crap. I'll have to have another good read through online at some point soon.

I've got a Nextbase 512G at the front currently. Thing is I'm not sure it just solidly records. I think it loops every 5 minutes or something. Then you press the caution button to save that. The wife said she got me it because it didn't do that though but the instruction manual was crap. I'll have to have another good read through online at some point soon.

It might be the file size you are reading about. They are normally 1, 3 and 5 min lengths depending on how many files you want to scroll through to watch back. Might also be the 5mins is referring to its internal memory but a 16gb SD card should last a few hours on continuous loop and deletes oldest files first. The emergency button locks the last file. You may be able to apportion different memory size allocation to the different modes. I have driving as my largest followed by a smaller allocation for parking and a small bit for emergency locked files.

Os I have the MiVue kit which records speed, GPS and G Force as well as usual other stuff.

Who else think dash cams should be built into cars at the factory. Makes sense to me and a lot of cars have parking cameras and SD slots for say Navy so im sure it wouldn't be to hard to include a recorder especially as everyone knows about crash for cash scams and the like

That's a good idea and they probably will be eventually. So the 1, 3 and 5 minutes refer to what exactly? It's recording as soon as I get in the car and it's got a 32gb card in it. Would I be able to plug it into my laptop now and view loads of 5 minute clips back? It's set at 5 minutes.

That's a good idea and they probably will be eventually. So the 1, 3 and 5 minutes refer to what exactly? It's recording as soon as I get in the car and it's got a 32gb card in it. Would I be able to plug it into my laptop now and view loads of 5 minute clips back? It's set at 5 minutes.

The times are an easy way of saying file size, longer the time bigger the file size basically and yes if you put the SD card in your PC or tablet you should be able to view back the individual recordings. My MiVue unit came with its own software to store and upload recordings. Nextbase may do something similar. The individual files are normally date/time stamped so you can find the file you want to view or store. Shorter the time means less footage to scroll through per file.

I have front and rear facing cameras in my DD |B and have submitted video evidence of dangerous red light runners to plod.
I could spend my time at the station 24/7 if I wanted as there are so many who seem to have scant regard for the rules and quite a few who appear to have never taken the test .V(

The times are an easy way of saying file size, longer the time bigger the file size basically and yes if you put the SD card in your PC or tablet you should be able to view back the individual recordings. My MiVue unit came with its own software to store and upload recordings. Nextbase may do something similar. The individual files are normally date/time stamped so you can find the file you want to view or store. Shorter the time means less footage to scroll through per file.

Excellent. Good to know mate thanks.

Who else think dash cams should be built into cars at the factory. Makes sense to me and a lot of cars have parking cameras and SD slots for say Navy so im sure it wouldn't be to hard to include a recorder especially as everyone knows about crash for cash scams and the like
I'm surprised manufacturers have not jumped on this one, after all, cameras are already present in many newer vehicles and it would not take a great deal of effort to make further use of them, or even add them into the sensor cluster already hugging the rearview mirror. Cameras are more necessary now than ever.

Just wondering how many on here have had a dash cam fitted or are thinking of getting one?

They can help provide evidence when a car is involved in an accident, they can also assist in the prosecution of bad driving but would you turn your footage over to the police if your dash cam picked something up?
I've had a Nextbase 312 for about a year now following a series of incidents where the footage would have been useful.
The magnetic mount is brilliant, so it's easy to remove store, I do need to find a better feed though, I thought it was on a switched fuse, but no, so if I leave it on its mount it'll drain the battery after three or four days . I'm going to get its rear companion in the near future. Overall a top camera at a reasonable price.

Depending on what size memory card you have, it will record in mini movie, set from the settings, 1,3, or 5 minute movies, however it will do this until it completely fills the memory card. Then it will start to overwrite the oldest movies, until it refills the memory, and so on. This way you will always have the latest segments, or mini movies on the card for you to access. Just go into the settings menu and sit with a cuppa and go through each setting and see what it has to offer, then choose the option which suits you best. You can always go back. If you haven't got one, I recommend getting the polarising lens which sticks to the front lens, it will cut out sun splash. For best results I had to rotate mine to the 90 degree position. Hope this helps a little.

AUKEY Dash Cam - As basic as you can get

Garmin Mini - This thing is MINI. Most discrete cam on the market, and great app functionality

A119 v3 - GPS, great video quality, great value Probably most well-liked.

70mai - Some users like this cam. It's cheap