Torque Cars

Daewoo Lanos engine swap

Discussion in 'Other makes and models' started by Osaka, 17 March 2015.

1. Osaka

Osaka Newbie

Spokane, WA
    Car:
    Daewoo Lanos
    So, I've just gotten my hands on a 2000 Daewoo Lanos that for the next 8 months or so will be used as a back up car for emergencies (my wife is currently pregnant so I decided it would be an inexpensive way to avert catastrophe). Next December, we will be buying a new car and will no longer need the Lanos, but I'm toying with the idea of an engine swap.

Now, this is by no stretch my first rodeo. I swapped a turbo engine into a N/A Rx7 when I was a teenager, which I later overheated and replaced with a small-block V8, I upgraded a muscle car from a 318 to a bored and stroked 528 wedge Mopar RB engine and I am currently working on installing the V8 and AWD system from a Charger into a 2002 300M.

For the Lanos, I've been rolling around the idea of swapping in the Turbocharged LNF Ecotec engine from the Cobalt SS (and others). Having done numerous other projects in the past, I am completely aware that the car will need to be structurally upgraded and swap will be a massive undertaking since the LNF (Ecotec) is a GM Family II engine and the E-Tec in the Lanos is a GM Family I engine. My only concern at this point is if it will physically fit. I've looked online for a few hours but have been unable to find any information on the specific dimensions of each engine. Does anyone here happen know (or maybe own both cars and can eyeball it for me)?

2. Osaka

Osaka Newbie

Spokane, WA
    Car:
    Daewoo Lanos
    Fantastic! My internet cut out as I submitted the thread. Somehow it must have sent it before the disconnect and after the reboot. Sorry about the double thread.