D16v1 Engine Mods

AD08

Wrench Pro
Car
Civic 1.6SE 02
Im lookin to give my 1.6 civic 02 abit more go and growl. Anyone got any ideas as to what the best mods for the D16V1 engine are and how much more power it gives. Im not looking to add to much power for insurance reasons but around an extra 25-30hp would be nice. I've read Princes 'Engine Swap' Thread and realise its difficult getting power out of D series engines so would I be better just swapping it for a B16A lump. I would prefer to keep the engine its got in it now if possible. Anyone got any ideas?

Engine swaps are nearly always the best cost effective mod you can do. It costs quite a bit to wring that sort of power out of existing engines. Plus you get a much better tuning base to work from.

Go for the engine swap mate. A D series engine doesn't give you a lot of potential. But then it all depends on how much power you want. With a lot of work you could push 200/250 bhp, however this may strain the engine as it wasn't built to cope with that sort of power. What kind of power are you looking for mate?

Probably 140-150 hp, would it take much to get that out of the D16v1 or is i worth leaving it and saving up for a stock B16A. As I say im not looking for to much power at the moment.

It could be done, but I'm not actually sure what the stock bhp is on your engine. Are you sure you have the correct engine code?

If you are looking to mod it further in the future then save up for the B16A2. 160 bhp as standard. It's also a VTEC.

Ye it's the right engine code take a look on google, think its 112hp stock. Im not looking to get to much power out of this engine, at the most 160hp for insurance purposes. I do prefer the idea of sticking with this engine and trying to get the power out of it if thats possible + im not looking to go to hardcore with this car; just a nice little project until iv got afew more years NCB when i can get a Type R.
:amuse:

Ok mate, start with a full Powerflow exhaust and sports cat. Also uprate the manifold to a 4 branch. You will also notice the increased throttle response. Next up you should uprate the air filter and maybe add a cold air intake. If you want to keep giong you can then upgrade the cams to fast road cams. Have you thought of reducing weight as well? Maybe the addition of a carbon fibre bonnet?

Ok nice one
Do you have to get the engine remapped or anythin when you do those mods n how much power am i looking at getting for that?
A new exhaust would be be nice aswell to give it abit more roar, any recommendation?

You don't have to have the engine re-mapped, but it is a good option to extract a bit of extra power. I have a Powerflow and like i've told other people, Powerflow gives the biggest power gains. All of that stuff you are looking at about 20/30 bhp. Whereabouts do you live? I know a few places around Northamptonshire and in Peterborough that can do these things for you.

Would you be willing to travel to Wellingborough?

I don't know any places up that way mate...try giving waynne a pm, he might have some connections up there.

Thats not to far away.
But if anyone knows anywhere closer to the Birmingham area that would be great.

No problem mate. I'll always try and help a fellow Honda nut! :bigsmile:

Here's the web address of the place in Wellingborough:
http://cc-customs.com/cc-home.html

If you ring up, ask for Rob. He's quite in demand so you'll have to book a place, but the exhaust should be a day job. But his work is top notch, he also does a lot of work for Max Power. He even done my exhaust.

Im lookin to give my 1.6 civic 02 abit more go and growl. Anyone got any ideas as to what the best mods for the D16V1 engine are and how much more power it gives. Im not looking to add to much power for insurance reasons but around an extra 25-30hp would be nice. I've read Princes 'Engine Swap' Thread and realise its difficult getting power out of D series engines so would I be better just swapping it for a B16A lump. I would prefer to keep the engine its got in it now if possible. Anyone got any ideas?

if u want to chuck a b16a in mate you can keep the engine loom in from the d16 cause thats what i did and it works fine all u got to do is make the cable for the lambour sensor longer and change the ecu for a b16a one

You don't have to have the engine re-mapped, but it is a good option to extract a bit of extra power. I have a Powerflow and like i've told other people, Powerflow gives the biggest power gains. All of that stuff you are looking at about 20/30 bhp. Whereabouts do you live? I know a few places around Northamptonshire and in Peterborough that can do these things for you.
What’s the name of the place in Peterborough and do they do full manifold back exhausts

Woah!! Massive necro!! Probably should just open your own thread to ask questions that have nothing to do with the thread you have awoken from a 10 year sleep!

Hiya guys I'm new on here and was wondering if anyone could help me..

I have a Honda civic 1.6i se executive automatic 2002.. D16v1 I absolutely love it I've had a full through flow japspeed decat exhaust system with 4.2.1 manifold and a pipercross viper rally induction kit.. I also brought a viper 4x stage 3 chip which made a hell of a difference in response and speed, I just ordered a skunk2 stage 2 cams which I will be dropping in next week, I am also looking into buying a vr air intake manifold as I don't trust the plastic one.. Plus some ansu 300cc injectors most likely will be getting some forged Pistons and Rods too, was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about ecu's and remapps I know this model factory ecu does not allow any and was wondering if there is any ecu's out there for my car..

Your Honda Civic really sounds like it's been transformed into a true performance machine!

I must confess to knowing little about ECU upgrades on the D series specifically and pretty much all I know is on this page https://www.torquecars.com/honda/d16-tuning.php which I have just updated for you from some messages and emails I had from my video & article readers.

Remap options are around, if you fancy trying it get yourself a cheap programmer (like the TL866), a free software (like HTS) and a wideband O2 sensor and you're ready to go.

But the brands that come to mind are Hondata4B, Haltech E6k or Accel DFI
  • Hondata: Known for their Honda-specific ECUs, like the Hondata S300, which is a module that fits inside the factory ECU casing for OBD1 Hondas. For OBD2 vehicles like yours, you might need to look into their K-Pro or FlashPro systems, although compatibility depends on the specific engine and ECU version.
  • AEM Infinity: Offers robust tuning capabilities and is compatible with a wide range of vehicles, but make sure to check compatibility with your specific engine and year.
  • Haltech: Known for their plug-and-play and universal ECUs, which can be programmed to suit a wide variety of applications, including Honda engines.

Piggyback ECU​

Piggyback ECUs are another option. They work alongside the factory ECU to modify engine performance without replacing the factory control unit. This can be a more cost-effective solution but may not offer as much control as a standalone ECU. Brands to consider include:

• APEXi Power FC: Although more commonly associated with JDM cars like the Nissan Skyline and Mazda RX-7, they might have solutions that can be adapted to your Civic.
  • GReddy e-Manage: Designed to work with a wide range of vehicles, offering the ability to fine-tune engine parameters.

Last edited:
Thank you very much..

Your advice is so very well appreciated

I will surely look into everything you have stated and pick the one that suits me soon thank you once again for you kind words and info..

I really can't wait to get my stage 2 cams in just waiting on my d17 /d16 cam gears and my d16y8 rocker arm assembly.. Plus I am definitely getting the vr intake too for d16v1 once all installed..

Your ifo on ecu's and map was all I needed. Thank you so much...

Guy I made a silly mistake brought fuel cheap on the side in barrels when pouring into tank forgot to filter and there was some white tissue type or clogged type of stuff that ended up going into my tank after two hours of driving she spat a code engine light. P0171 fuel trim (FT) SYSTEM TO Lean, bank..

After clearing code she seems to run good very responsive but I am confused to the fact that the code came up and since clearing it's been 24hrs and no code.. I have attached a video of fuel trim bank1 I don't have clue what it means hence why I'm am asking for help from you guys on what I should do..