Cut and Wax. Fair Price?

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
As a few of you will know. If have just spent some money on getting my baby cleaned up. I have had both bumpers re-sprayed, the door and the wheels touched up.

After chatting to the guy, he says the only way to get the true colour of the car back (other than a respray) would to cut and wax the whole car. He would usually charge £250, but as he has already done the bumpers and a door he said he would do it for £150 which seems quite good to me. What do you think?

He also says that cos its a jap car, and the paint is so think, they use extra lacker, which is why a polish wouldn't work as well, as you are just poloshing lacker, not the paint.

150 isnt bad at all if its a full correction and if he refines it.

if its done bad youll have hollograms all over the paint work when the sun is on it. your looking at a days work to polish and refine the paint.

as for the thicker paint, not nessessary true it depends on how thick the robot painted it a the factory, the resprayed area hes done with have much thicker paint than the rest of the car. your normall see about 120-150microns (1 micron is a thousandth of a mm) in thickness.

He did a very good job on my car for the first time, and I have seen a few he has done. He uses a machine, with about 5 diff bads, and loads of dif types of wax and cutting agents. He has been trading for years and has a good rep up here.

Not bad, it took me 8 hours more or less to do mine by hand, wash,T-cut, ,wax, polish,Gloss guard and treat tyres and trim. Still 8 hours of my time is well worth £150 cash

please tell me you didnt do it in that order aston ?
the tcut is polish
then waxed fine
polishing again will remove the wax youve just applied

bbj if hes using different pads then it sounds like he is refining it at least. alot of places just run round with a polishing pad and the cheapest polish they can get

I washed it,
t-cut it (t-cut is a mild abrasive)
waxed it,
Polished it(buffed)
and finnished with gloss guard and polished (buffed) it again. looked a treat but was parked for a month or so so every time it rained the water would bead then evaporate leaving big dirty dots everywhere, the unwaxed cars just looked clean, allways the same.
Normally I wash cars properly twice, when I buy them and then when they are for sale, between its just a soapy rinse and chammy

please tell me you didnt do it in that order aston ?
the tcut is polish
then waxed fine
polishing again will remove the wax youve just applied

bbj if hes using different pads then it sounds like he is refining it at least. alot of places just run round with a polishing pad and the cheapest polish they can get

Yeah, he has already shown me the pads. There is about 5 in total. And about 6-7 dif agents. The colour he brought out of my door was enough to impress me. He painted half (after the crease) and polished the whole thing. It looks well tidy! :blink1::bigsmile:

tcut's not a polish, tcut basically lifts a microscopic layer of paint right off, so you get the fresh paint underneath,

You're all gay by the way, washing your cars. You'll be having a bath twice a month next.

tcut's not a polish, tcut basically lifts a microscopic layer of paint right off, so you get the fresh paint underneath,

You're all gay by the way, washing your cars. You'll be having a bath twice a month next.

thats exactly what a polish is, its an abrasive that removes a small amount of paint. abet tcut is very mild compared to some

and hell no to the bath, once a years still enough for me :lol:

I thought polish is an non abrasive sealant (wax's and polymers etc) wheras t cut and the like are mild abrasives which cut a thin layer of paint off revealing the fresh paint underneath,

No - common misconception there wax and sealers coat the paint with a protective layer.

Polish (metal polishes at least) will always have an abrasive element in them. The mildest polish i've seen is Autoglyms super resin polish. Use it on your car and you can see the pad change colour to match your paint as it rubs away a very thin layer.

Read more on waxes and polishes here.