custom intake ideas for a 2.0l petrol zetec n/a engine ?

clubba2012

Wrench Pro
Car
ford focus 2l zetec
i am curious to find out the best ways in which i can improve my intake system on my zetec, whether this is to add an induction kit or by replacing the intake manifold itself with a tuner manifold, would love to hear your ideas if possible ... cheers

i am curious to find out the best ways in which i can improve my intake system on my zetec, whether this is to add an induction kit or by replacing the intake manifold itself with a tuner manifold, would love to hear your ideas if possible ... cheers

I can give you for a test an induction that was developed for the ST150 if it is the same engine (depending on what year your car was manufactured).

Intake manifold uprating is an expensive measure. you will gain much more with a properly designed induction (pre throttle body) and a dedicated re-map for the same kind of investment.

That's a great bit of advice charlieP I will look further down that route instead , do you know where I may be able to find a set of individual throttle bodies for my zetec its a year 2000 model ... Iv heard good things about itbs and the noise they produce :)

Good shout turbo nutter was looking at some gxr 1000 itbs but not to sure how to install them as there is probably other stuff I'd need to do around the engine to compensate for the itbs ...

That's a great bit of advice charlieP I will look further down that route instead , do you know where I may be able to find a set of individual throttle bodies for my zetec its a year 2000 model ... Iv heard good things about itbs and the noise they produce :)

You can have the same sort of sound with a single throttle body.

Individual throttle bodies are again quite expensive. With a single throttle body it is possible to extract in excess 0f 280bhp om your engine without the help of a blower. However, this is well beyond most people's means. It would be cheaper to go forced induction.

Bike carbs can bec a handful. Setting them up requires time and patience.

To keep it fiancially manageable I personally would stick with the factory t/b and modify the externals first. If you consider a cam change, wait for the cam before you do the exhaust (Exhaust needs to be calculated to the cam parameters).

Ok that soundds good I will begin my search for a suitable tuner\race camshafts I'm sure there are a few options, will get a re-map with that too , do u know of any sport remap manufacturers ? Cheers mate

the Zetec engines are very tunable. many companies do off the shelf parts for them. cam's throttle bodies manifolds (exhaust and inlet). the possibilities are endless. you can buy kits to turbo charge them too.

having the 2L rules out some options however, as with the 1.8L you can use the 2L TB and cams as i did in my old Mondeo. you would also need to remap it after doing this.

the zetec is often used in conversions and kit cars as it is a relatively easy engine to work on and is easy to obtain parts for.

the simplest way to gain power (and cheapest) is exhaust and induction kit. from there you need to think about a different type of inlet (different manifold, bigger throttle body, etc etc.)
remaps work well on these engines if you've got the right parts on them, and avoid "tuning chips" or piggyback chips. also i did see on ebay a while back a "tuning pack" and all that was was a resistor that you put onto the MAF sensor to up the fuelling. also a no no.

be careful when choosing parts as there are several different variants of the zetec engine and while most parts are compatible, some aren't. all the best!!!

the Zetec engines are very tunable. many companies do off the shelf parts for them. cam's throttle bodies manifolds (exhaust and inlet). the possibilities are endless. you can buy kits to turbo charge them too.

having the 2L rules out some options however, as with the 1.8L you can use the 2L TB and cams as i did in my old Mondeo. you would also need to remap it after doing this.

the zetec is often used in conversions and kit cars as it is a relatively easy engine to work on and is easy to obtain parts for.

the simplest way to gain power (and cheapest) is exhaust and induction kit. from there you need to think about a different type of inlet (different manifold, bigger throttle body, etc etc.)
remaps work well on these engines if you've got the right parts on them, and avoid "tuning chips" or piggyback chips. also i did see on ebay a while back a "tuning pack" and all that was was a resistor that you put onto the MAF sensor to up the fuelling. also a no no.

be careful when choosing parts as there are several different variants of the zetec engine and while most parts are compatible, some aren't. all the best!!!
That's great olly I will continue my search being a lot more confident in what I am looking for now , I already have an ashley competition exhaust system on the focus so the next step will be a decent induction kit probably an AEM as they are quite effective . I was also thinking of putting an st170 intake manifold onto the engine replacing the stock manifold , do you know if you are able to carry out a straight swap, will the st170 manifold fit onto the engine ?

on the assumption that your's is the 2L BT (black top) zetec then i think i am correct in saying that yes, it should fit. how ever it might be worth looking online to see if the head mounting face on both are the same.
you will also possibly need a different inlet feed. ie the pipe from air box to inlet manifold.

depending on the gains you want, the way to go with zetecs is inlet, exhaust, cams, remap. or you can speak to Mountune.

http://www.mountune.com/

a few people i know have had dealings with them and have had no issues at all!

of course if you want more gains, zetec turbo conversions are fairly common and kits are available.

http://www.mountune.com/

a few people i know have had dealings with them and have had no issues at all!

of course if you want more gains, zetec turbo conversions are fairly common and kits are available.

Mountune is very good and has got the advantage that it has factory (Ford) approved modifications. However, it comes at a price. Some people might want to tell that Mountune is overpriced, which is an opinion I can't share. The price is more than justified as they supply very reliable products.

BTW, I have no financial interest in Mountune. They are a competitor! I only recommend them because they are providing good products.

i've had no personal dealings with any tuning company. so i can only go on what others have told me.

i did all the work on my mondeo myself (which may well explain it's demise! :p)

there is a wealth of information available to all on the internet these days, and it only takes a short amount of time to go through pages and pages of information, so with that in mind, take a browse and see what ideas come to mind from what other people have done, see what has been tried and tested and proven to work.

Thank you very much for everyone that has given me such good advice it will all go too a good cause :p i am gradually going to my zetec with each wageslip I get :D

I cannot thank u all enough I'm car bonkers even when I'm out of work and cannot wait to start development of my zetec , every bit of info you have given me is noted and will go a long way I'll keep u posted ... Thanks again

i have just had a look on the mountunew website, unfortunately they do not seem to do any performance upgrades for my car mk1 focus :( thank you for your time anyway im sure there are plenty of other sites dedicated to ford tuning.