Cruise control

SHANNCON

Wrench Pro
Car
Jaguar XF 2013
I've just changed from a Mercedes C Class to a Jaguar XF.

I've noticed that the Cruise Control doesn't actually control the speed on the Jaguar. If you set a speed, the car will speed up, if going downhill. The Mercedes used to change gear and engine brake to try to maintain the speed.

I feel let down by Jaguar on this. It's only useful on the straight, or, going uphill.

Is it just Jaguar, or, do other makes do the same?:sad2:

A lot of models also do this. High end models tend to use engine braking and are clever enough to change down but you must have an auto obviously for this to work (most european cars are manual so I guess the cruise control on these models assumes a manual gearbox majority).

Some models will touch the brakes to slow up downhill.

A lot of models also do this. High end models tend to use engine braking and are clever enough to change down but you must have an auto obviously for this to work (most european cars are manual so I guess the cruise control on these models assumes a manual gearbox majority).

Some models will touch the brakes to slow up downhill.

The Jaguar has an eight speed automatic gearbox.

It's disappointing that it doesn't control the speed.

I, really, can't see the point of it!:confused:

I would be inclined to take it back to the main dealer as that does not sound right to me. The cruise control on my SAAB is very good and I can't say I ever noticed a speeding up on a downhill descent.

Last edited:
If all else fails, you could always try using the left hand pedal, afer all, that is what it is there for :)

Exactly. Or lift off before cresting the hill. Commonly known as acceleration sense by Class 1 Police drivers.

No matter how good any control system is, including, for example, adaptive automatic transmission (such as I have), these systems cannot anticipate, they can only react.

Cruise control is really only a speed holding device, and it will only work within certain parameters. OK, uphill is fine with automatic xmission because the 'box will drop down if there's insufficient torque to maintain the set speed. But downhill it's brakey wakey time :D