Cruise control

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on cruise control?

Is it more economical to use than it would be to manually regulate your speed?

Would our roads flow more freely if everyone used cruise control?

Have you got a cruise control system? Is it effective and what are its drawbacks?

I have cruise, but Ive only used it a couple of times tbh, which was around 3.am on the M20 to Dover, I don't really feel in control with it on, when I go to Belgium as I have a house over there, quite a lot of roads in Europe you are not allowed to use cruise, they have big signs with cruise crossed out and these roads are straight and go on for ever.

I suppose if your tired you could fall asleep with it on and have a major disaster

A friend of mine went to the US where most cars have this and he said that all the roads flowed freely, they all set it for the limit and stayed in lane. It sounds a bit boring to me!;)

I've also heard that fuel consumption is often higher as a person judges hills and valleys more effectively and allows the car to coast, build up speed to carry it economically over the distance.

i now have it and its good for the motorways as ive a nasty habit of speeding up and slowing down
it does you slightly more fuel as it doesnt stop injecting all togeather, doing downhill etc, instead holds around 70mpg rather than over 100

yeah very good job, only took then bout 1/2 hour by the time they got it in. couldnt recommenced them enough
cost £115 all in, dealer is somewhere near £175 that is if they will fit it to petrols. 1st time i went in they told me cant be done. went away did research and found that the reason it cant be done is due to 3 wires not going to the ECU in the petrol models.
managed to find the actual VAG part number for this additional loom and the pins where it goes to in the ECU (different for each model number ) went back with this info and was told i was wrong it cant be done to petrols only diesels.

The cruise in my 406 was factory and integrated into the ECU. I suspect the only difference between it and models without was the column stalk to control it (and maybe a little bit of code blanked out in the software).

I didn't use it much to be honest.