Crankshaft Snout broke B6 A4 1.8T

R

rbhudelson

To make a really long story short my boys bought the above mentioned A4 about 6 months ago. It has 80k miles on it. They took it to an independent shop to fix low rpm rough idle and oil leaks. They replaced the puck valve, MAS and valve cover gasket and sent them on their way. Worked 1 day then rough idle back. Took it to another independent who diagnosed broke turbo and bad puck valve. So this guy had the car almost a month and installed timing belt, K04 Turbo, coolant leak and a myriad of other things. Got car back and it wouldn't pull the hat off your head. 19 seconds zero to 60. My boys, not being idiots, sold me the car because it outstripped their ability to fix it. I'm thinking about getting a new S4 and I like Audis so I agreed and took over trying to fix car. Looked at boards and replaced the crankcase breather, vacuum jet and puck and fixed the slow idle problem. Found they put that Red APR turbo inlet hose but forgot to put a hose clamp around the n75 valve so much air was entering system through that leak. fixed that and car starts immediately instead of cranking and cranking. Took it for test drive to see if power had returned and about mile into trip car just stopped.

I knew when it happened it was going to be bad because i've never heard that sound before. It threw the following 4 codes:

1. P0300: Multiple Cylinder Misfire
2. P0342: Camshaft position Sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Low Input
3. P0102: MAF or VAF A Circuit Low Input
4. P0234: Engine Over Boost Condition

This morning we got the car back in my garage and was dumfounded to find that it had broke the crankshaft snout. You could spin the starter motor but the timing belt or crankshaft pulley would not turn so i thought wow, something happened to my flywheel because there must not be any teeth left for starter to turn. Much to my chagrin, i realized what had happened after i pulled the plugs and had son hit the starter. pistons moving up and down but timing belt nor crankshaft pulley not moving. Looked down and could see the lower crank pulley was not on straight and reached down and could move it with my hands. Sigh. Also, you can see where the valves impacted the pistons by seeing the circular shinny spots on the pistons by looking through the sparkplug hole with a flashlight.

So, i have this A4 that is in overall good condition and I wanted to do some upgrades anyway, what should i do? Rebuild or try to find a crate engine? I'm not in any real hurry as i have a Touareg as daily driver. I want to get as much power as possible on 91 octane fuel without turning it into a cranky maintenance nightmare. I have a boat for that.

This is my first post so apologies for long first thread.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back