Cracked Wheels on my E46 coupe

Badtone

Car
BMW328ci E46
Hello there
I have owned my year 2000 328ci E46 for 16 months now , and mostly i love it to bits . However since i have owned the car i have had the
N/S/Front and O/S/Rear wheels removed for puncture repairs only to find that the tyres are fine but the wheels have split on the inside rim . I haven't hit any kerbs or potholes and the rims have no dents . So i would like to know if this is a known fault with " style 32 " wheels and are there any BMW recalls related to this ?
If you know anything about this fault or have experienced it yourself i would love to hear from you .

Not heard about this on these wheels specifically but I have heard of wheels doing this. It usually happens in the extreme temperature changes or due to small vibrations acting on a stress fracture in the wheel itself and I would have thought it is a manufacturing defect.

I'll be interested to hear if there is a fault on these particular rims. Have you had a chat with BMW over it?

I've never heard of this either with Style 32s. I've actually just bought a set of 17s so would be interested to hear what BMW say.

Have they been repaired at any time during their life?

Thats really really wierd I have to say !! If that would happen to me, I wouldn't attempt any repairs and just get the new wheels. I know is not cheap just like that and easy to say , but seems like only one option especially if there is no guarantee on them.
Good they didn't split like completely on half during the drive, like 60mph, that would be not good at all :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say they have been repaired (poorly) before you bought the car. I would personally get rid and replace them with solid ones. The price will depend on the size and whether or not you want staggered ones or not.