coupe 2.7 V6 04 plate

brutes1963

Car
Hyundai Coupe 2.7
Hi all, new car and would like to know what i can do for improvements on power and mpg, read a lot on chipping etc but it seems that diesels get the most gains. Air induction? air filters?

Where's the best place to start?

Hello and welcome to the site mate

generally increasing the power increases the fuel usage.
chipping, or more commonly now remapping, is best left till last and done custom to tie in all the modifications done. saying that on a 2.7 you might well see around 15bhp gain

not sure on your engine, most airboxes for decent engines are well designed and are suitible for lifting the power higher than standard with engine work.

i would go with a decent induction kit that is situated away from the engine where it has access to plently of cold air. even if nothing is really gained it will sound alot better imo.

exhaust fit some sports cat(s) as they are generally the most restrictive parts of the exhaust

Hyundai's have a learning ECU so will revert back to Factory setting's in time so reset your ECU
Firstly bring the car to normal operating temperature by driving for 15 minutes or so.
Now open the bonnet and disconnect the earth lead from the battery, ensure this is not touching any part of the bodywork - insulate if necessary - and wait 5 minutes.
Next depress the foot brake for 20 seconds - this will completely discharge the ECU's capacitorsvia the brake lights.
The next step (to be carried out immediately, while the engine is still warmed-up) is to carefully re-connect the battery earth lead, close the bonnet and now drive the car in a spirited fashion (accelerating rapidly through the gears, full-throttle straights etc. etc.) for a full 30 minutes. Try to choose a quiet time on the roads for this, (i.e. early on a Sunday morning!).

This period of driving will `re-educate` your ECU into adopting more aggressive timing curves and alter the fueling to match. It will also allow the unit to recognize any modifications you have made and to react accordingly.
If, on the other hand, you are not interested in outright performance, but are more concerned with economy and flexibility, use your normal driving style during this 30-minute run!.

Over time, the ECU will slowly revert to the factory settings......especially if it is not being driven `spiritedly` on a regular basis.
Accordingly, many owners tend to do this reset monthly, or before a track day or even a long run.