Corsa Problems

Vaux7

Car
Opel Corsa LitePlus
Hi, first of all, I would like to say hi since I'm a new member here :bigsmile:

So I have an Opel Corsa Lite+ 1.4i (2004 model)

I am experiencing the following:
* Revs running wild (at abnormal times, sometimes idling at 2000rpm after more than 30mins of driving, meaning it cant be the choke I think)
* Temp guage sometimes go into the red whilst driving (gets there quickly when Im at a stop sign), but when I turn of the car for 10 seconds it goes back to 1/4 or 1/2.

Any ideas of what the problem(s) might be?

My 2c: I think the guage might be an electrical problem (and not the car really overheating), and maybe a dyno would fix the running revs?

Thanks

Last edited:
I spoke to a guy at the service station near my home, he also said he got a few Opels with similar problems (talking about the revs here), but he gave me someone elses number, he cant fix it.
I think I should give him a call.

I'd go for the idle control valve, they get gunked up due to thier silly design. Sometimes you can free them up but I'd certainly make this the first thing I checked.

It could also be a MAF or Lambda sensor, intermittent problems are hard to track down so trial and error is usually the way forward.

So how would I go about checking the idle control valve? My technical knowledge only goes as far as my aircraft technical handbooks and hearsay about cars from my friends

Just remove it and press the end if it pops back out cleanly then its probably all ok but if it sticks a bit then it is the cause of your probs.

I dunno where it is on your car but it will be near the throttle and air intake and is probably made of plastic.