Correct way to tighten wheel lug nuts

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
I always use a tension wrench to tighten then when changing wheels and before and during events to ensure they stay tight and secure and there is zero chance they will come loose .

This is what I use and have had it for app 40 years and it is IMO more reliable than most of the fancy wrenches that rely on an internal coil spring and need checking at least yearly for accuracy.

I believe that most people never think of checking them after they get new tyres fitted and blindly trust the tyre fitter to do things correctly but in reality I have come across over tightened nuts and having to use a long extension bar to loosen them to change a wheel due to the fitter using a torque stick on a rattle gun that was meant for a truck on a passenger vehicle. I generally check out daily drive cars monthly for peace of mind.

How many of you have had a flat tyre out in the country or anywhere and been unable to undo the lug nuts with the factory spanner as they are too short to get enough leverage to loosen the over tightened lug nuts done up by the tyre shops apprentice ?

You can get and carry a length of pipe to slip over it to give longer leverage.

I got caught out and now carry a section of pipe. Beware of copper pipes, they tend to just bend or split, you need something a bit solid.

Also do the nuts diagnally and tighten them up each a little at a time.

IF you are having trouble loosening the lug nuts with the factory tool and don't have a bit of pipe handy then you can use a ring spanner or a shifter that has a hole in the handle over it to increase leverage.