Correct way to hold the steering wheel

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
In my travels I notice all kinds of hand positions and very few in the best possible position to react to any situation that requires a change of lane or direction.

I often wonder if those who hold the wheel with their hand on the opposite side and the other on the PB /HB or shifter have some form of physical disability.

I was initially taught to use the 10 & 2 position but that was way back when there were no controls on or near the wheel like the indicators, cruise, audio, screen washers so one had to advise following motorists of my intentions by sticking my arm and hand out of the window.

Those days are long gone and cars are now ergonomically designed so with ones hands on the 9&3 position all the various controls can be operated by ones fingers without shifting position.

There will be some who do not agree simply due to ingrained bad habits that they can't be bothered changing and think that it only takes a fraction of a second longer to respond BUT they need to realise and understand that by saving say a 1/4 of a second @ 60kph or app 35mph will reduce the stopping distance by app 4 metres which can be the difference between a close shave or ending up 4 metres under a semi trailer / lorry's tray

It's hard for me to understand exactly I see newly minted red and green plated drivers?? displaying poor habits so soon after passing their test . .V(