Corr....Intercoolers.

MasterAuron

Very Senior Member
Car
Mk1 Focus RS
Anybody know anybody that can supply Garrett intercooler cores? Or even make me a decent IC for a reasonable price using a Garrett core or one just as or nearly as good?

Really struggling here without importing from the US and paying mega money in VAT and import duty, then paying out again to get the end tanks made up. :(

Damn this "saving" lark :lol:

Brum OG. What did you have in mind?

I can get a full kit off the shelf but I know I can make better for less money, spin the comp housing and use about a metre less pipework, use a more efficient and smaller core and use a better route. Hardest part is finding a good intercooler without spending millions. Marston are only in Wolverhampton iirc but you don't want to know what they cost lol.

Brum OG. What did you have in mind?

I can get a full kit off the shelf but I know I can make better for less money, spin the comp housing and use about a metre less pipework, use a more efficient and smaller core and use a better route. Hardest part is finding a good intercooler without spending millions. Marston are only in Wolverhampton iirc but you don't want to know what they cost lol.

I used to work there. :bigsmile:

Lol the ones I made were bigger than your car! I did my apprenticeship with Industrial Cryogenic Heat Exchangers, ours were about 6m x 1.2m x 2/3m & the header tanks were generally 10mm thick! :lol: The racing car company was a spin-off venture of the Aircraft section & yes they are silly expensive, but they are made to aerospace standard & brazed in a vacuum furnace. It was in its infancy when I was there way back in 2001. :D

I had my one made by a local guy who used to work for Pro Alloy. Th ecore came from Australia and is the best you can get before going to F1 spec (£300 just for the core). Martin then made the ends to my requirements. However, he is in Essex :-(

As you can see, the fins are ribbed to increase surface area in contact with the air. I have not seen inside any other intercooler to know whether this is standard or not.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1373&stc=1&d=1327183956
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1374&stc=1&d=1327184000

Attachments

• intercoole core.jpg
    intercoole core.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 5
  • intercoole core (1).jpg
    intercoole core (1).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
What core did you use OG? PWR? 300 is fine but then shipping, vat and import duty on top? I need a smuggler or somebody who imports regularly/in bulk! Finding someone to sort the ends is easy, getting a good core in the UK is hard work.

Let me have the size of the core, expected boost and power and engine type/size etc and I will find out on Monday what is available and cost.

I have fogotten what the core is, I will find that out tomorrow as well :)

Expected power is a maximum of 400fwhp at 26psi say, to give room for further mods. I am looking at something around 20"x6.5"x3" which would maximise cooling space at the front and cool well for my power and boost if the core is good enough without being too large as to induce any lag.