Corolla D-4D

rollasr

Car
Corolla SR 2.0 tD
Hi Guys and Girls,

For months i have been looking for info on the D4D engine as my warranty with Toyota is now up and i want to mod the old girl to the max, I was thinking along the lines of:#

Bigger Turbo
Larger Injectors
F1 Eagle 2s
Boost Controller
Re-map ( I cant find any diesel tuning company that remaps the Corolla SR)

So any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mr S

For some reason this seems to be true of all common rail Toyota diesels. No one can remap them. This might be the first time I actually recommend a plug n play tuning box. Don't buy the Ebay ones for a tenner.

Superchips offers a £391 tune for your car, although I have no idea what method they use.

You're going to need to do a lot of research into this one as all tuning boxes are not the same.

I've had a Diesel Power Tuning (DPT) box until recently and I was very pleased with the results. Lots more MPG and performance and drive was improved. It's a digital box so is one of the more clever tuning boxes out there. Another (more expensive) option for you would be the Dastek Unichip Q. It's basically a piggy-back ECU that can control fueling, boost etc.

The DPT can be custom tuned by a handful of people, one of them being Austek racing in Kent. The Dastek is more widely known. Dasket in Scotland are renound and know their stuff. There's also GT Art in Brighton. It depends what your budget is but expect to pay £600-800 for the Dastek Unichip (includes unit and custom mapping) and £300-£400 for the DPT box (just the box).

I would imagine that yours has a VNT controlled turbo in which case it's pretty tricky using a boost controller isnt it? It'll be ECU controlled and if you replace that then it'll have to be with something pretty clever or you'll loose the boost map that allows for high boost at low RPM ( a benifit of VNT).

Last edited:
I have found a suitable piggy bank for £380 from a Toyota dealer selling this non toyota part, hes been selling them for a few years and has never had any returns, but the figure are 116bhp to 145bhp... but the more impressive figure are torque stats from 300n/M to around 380n/M

As for the boost control I'm no wizz when it comes to engines and turbos, but a mate of mine had a look in there and said it would be easy to fit a boost control to the turbo, as at the moment the turbo doesn't kick in till around 2k revs which really annoys me when it drops out when driving normally.

Hi mate just checked on our list and your car has an hybrid ecu so cannot be remapped.
if you go for a tuning box take your time and make sure you get one that you can return if it doesn't deliver what it say's it should.
have a word with these guy's at jpautronics, 01142879191 ask for john,
they have tried many different boxes and now only use one company as they do perform..

steve

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back