Cornering tips wanted

misenthrop

Torque Junkie
Car
Rover Vitesse
When I'm on the track I tend to lose a lot of speed in the corners. I am improving but we have a track day this weekend and I need a bit of a boost.

Also what should I do to my car so it is ready for the track day. I cooked my brakes last time so I'll be putting on some new pads.

Any tips for faster cornering techniques so I can beat the boys?

Oh and I'll be using a Saxo VTS if that helps or changes anything. It has been stripped right out but engine and suspension are still standard.

Hardware wise:-

Soft compound tyres will help;

As will upgraded pads (careful here, they are crap when cold);

A full suspension makeover with much stiffer springs and dampers (this might sod up the on road handling - tracks are smoother than British blacktop).

In general though, if you're losing pace on corners it means you're going in too fast.

I lose quite a bit of speed mid way through the corner is that what you mean by slow in fast out?

I've been working on heel and toe as well and am getting pretty good at this.

Is left foot braking worth trying?

I lose quite a bit of speed mid way through the corner is that what you mean by slow in fast out?

I've been working on heel and toe as well and am getting pretty good at this.

Is left foot braking worth trying?

They're all worth trying and the track is the place for this. Find what technique works for you.

Slow in fast out is exactly it.

HDI is right.

Bit of amiter info here, but make sure that you drop a gear before the corner, and try and keep it reving high, this way you can accelarate al the way through the corner, giving you a fast exit speed.

Try not to be at full lock, with your foot over the break, its better to be on the breaks early and use throttle controll to help steer around, otherwise you will just get understeer.

Maby look at different lines as well, as your exit line going into the next corner could cause you to slow.

HDI is right.

Bit of amiter info here, but make sure that you drop a gear before the corner, and try and keep it reving high, this way you can accelarate al the way through the corner, giving you a fast exit speed.

Try not to be at full lock, with your foot over the break, its better to be on the breaks early and use throttle controll to help steer around, otherwise you will just get understeer.

Maby look at different lines as well, as your exit line going into the next corner could cause you to slow.

you shouldnt be looking to accelerate all the way through the corner necessarily...

drop your speed on the approach to the corner, find your line for the apex, and once you hit the apex, hit the gas.

on your entry to the corner you should be holding a steady speed, with the car under full control, no braking or jerky movements, you want everything to be as fluid and smooth as possible.

if your runnin standard brakes and suspension, you WILL lose speed in the corners, this is down to 2 reasons, firstly, you wil have to break much earlier to get your speed down for the corner, and secondly, your standard rice pudding suspension and road tyres will not be able to handle the same amount of speed as purpose built items.
:)

It's crucial to match gears/speeds and revs accurately.

This is why manual transmission (or the very very good indeed VW DSG boxes) is pretty much essential for track use. On the road I prefer a decent automatic 'box. The level of precision is fine enough for road driving but it wouldn't cut it on a track.

The old adage is going to rear its head here: Practise, practise, practise. On a track a corner or bend is much more than just that. Your preparation for it starts very early. Learn the track intimately. Walk round it if necessary. Note camber changes and surfaces. Note the bends themselves.

Do they tighten in or out? Same radius all around, perhaps?

Track driving is much more repeatable than road driving so you'll find yourself honing the point where you start braking, start turning etc. for each corner or bend individually.

It's great fun though, if you can afford the tyres, discs and pads, that is :)

If you can afford it,do these three things.

1)Change the brake fluid to DOT 5.1(higher boiling point)
2)Fit braided brake hoses.
3)have some instruction whilst on track from an ARDS instructor.

Number 3 is more important than most folk realise.