Converting Automatic to Manual - Balancing the Engine

Bzltyr

Car
1970 240z
I have experience with American made cars I know nothing about Nissans. I am going to put a RB25 Neo in my 240z. What I need to know is can I change flywheels without having to rebalance the engine? I am getting a JDM engine and putting a TR-3550 behind it. Can I just buy an aftermarket flywheel, clutch and pilot bushing and I have manual trans car or do I have to rebalance the engine?

I know balancing is good and I will when I build the engine. For now I am going to use the engine just as it is from the vendor.

Thanks.

The engine and flywheels are separately balanced so there is not need to get the engine balanced for a new flywheel.

Be aware of what lighter flywheels will do the engine behaviour before you start, lighter is not always better.

Thanks, Obi. Good advise on the light flywheel. I always thought it best to have that energy keeping the rpms up when shifting.

Do you know of a company that sells the clutch friction disc with "custom" splines?
I expect the TR-3550 and the stock spline on the input shaft will be different.
Thanks.

putting rbs into he earlier nissans is a well documented mod.
Most use an rb26 but a neo install will go the same way. Of courseif you want power you can go rb30.
Most "difficult " is wiring in an ecu to run the motor but as said bfore it is a swop that has been fully documented a fair few times so you wont be in the dark.
Having put rbs into various nissans I think it would be far easier to simply use a neo engine and manual gearbox . Everything else fits together pretty easily then .
You might need a custom prop but I guss that would be the same with a 3550.
And a decent nissan box will take all the power you can practically use in a 240z
If you are decide to go really silly with the numbers (RB30 ec) simply fit O S Giken internals and center plate and the box will cope with the poer fine .. (mine does and it runs over 700 )