confessions of an ex FTO owner

moneypit

Wrench Pro
Car
Mazda MX5 1.8 Sport
Just moving over from the FTO owners section:)
The poor old gal (and the reason for the "moneypit" nickname) has gone to the great scrap yard in the sky (well countryside actually) Having taken the micky one last time but deciding to expect me to pay around 1k to get her thru the MOT! prices have fallen as we all know, and some idiot on fleabay thought it was fine to win the bid then ignore it :evil:
scrap value £167 ! they were also selling for 100 quid on ebay at the time so as I had sold my Harley as well and had 5k to play with the decision was what can I buy that will get more than 13mpg if I thrash it and can still be used for the work commute they wife needs to make... I fancied a Honda 2000 but fuel consumption was not better than the FTO.

Also I really cant be bothered to mess around underneath cars anymore, and the cost of fuel meant it was even cheaper for my wife to go by train!

So in March I found a one owner FSH 03 1.8 sport complete with the hardtop! We had taken out a couple of new mx5 3.5's nice but did we really want to pay for a new one when we didn't know the car, and then I saw the 03 on the way to work, took it out fell in love!

So we have a supreme blue mx5 and I have had time to play and fiddle under the bonnet and must admit...who needs a new one!

I hear soft violin music in the background! Good to hear from you again matey! Welcome back, we've missed you.

I know what you mean about fiddling with cars when it comes to time and cost. I think we all need a weekend toy to play with though.

Well had the MX for a year thereabouts! Very happy no real maintenance issues, apart from having to garage it for an oil change as I could not get at the plug to undo it and get a scaffold pole on it to shift it, blurry air wrenches! fitted platinum plugs new leads magna core 8.5, removed the carbon canister,built myself a speaker box to fit a pair of extra speakers between the seats and a microwave alarm for soft top days! shiny new grill and de boxed the number plate. Oh homemade induction kit.
running cost are virtually nothing and a luxury 32mpg for commuting on a trip down to Cornwall for a week touring about, gave us 39mpg and still had fun on the twistys!
Sort of reminds of a Triumph Spitfire 1500 of my boyhood dreams but without the hassle lol

Blimey can't believe my last post was April 2013!!
Year two was uneventful with the 5 which is wonderful ! And allowed me to fit a decent back box twin exit jobby! I put the standard air box back on but with a K&N panel filter, needed to quieten her down a bit, twin exhaust and induction got the wife moaning! Only when I was driving ha!
Theres was a big problem rearing its head on the MX forums as the chassis on the mk 2.5 rotting away. Got my local garage to give a good look over at MOT phew! A tiny bit of rust near rear wheel arch. Dinitrol has now filed all box sections and I just need to do the wheel arches WHEN the weather sorts itself lol .
Looking forward to seeing the new MX5 when it finally gets to the show room. But don't think we'll get one as I can barely get out of this one!
And finally, I became a granddad in june to a baby boy named Isaac ! And his education is starting with MotorGP with me and rugby with his Nan!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back