Cone air filter issues Renault Clio 1.2 16v Mk2 '03

bonyad

Wrench Pro
Car
Renault Clio 1.2i
Hi all,

I've previously fitted an air filter for my Clio but it was universal and more dangerous than anything, as it had no brackets etc.

So I was considering buying a proper branded air filter that comes with brackets etc, to ensure its safe. But, when I fitted the universal air filter I found the inlet pipe didnt reach to the 'sucky bit' of the cone filter so it was getting enough air as it required which in turn probably give it LESS power.

So I am wondering what kind of tubing I could use to extend the existing inlet pipe to allow it to reach the 'sucky bit' of the cone filter. I've considered a cold air intake but it probably isnt worth it on a 1.2 engine. Or if there is any other way of solving this problem please let me know.

For those of you unsure of what a Clio engine looks like or just don't understand what I mean, let me know and i'll upload a picture.

Thanks.

cant upload pics till youve got ten posts mate.

why dont you fabricate your own bracket for the cone not hard and you should be able to pick up some thin metal no problems.

as for the pipe. are you on about the ones that go from the front of the car to the cone? if so get yourself to a parts shop and look for ducting. halfrauds do 76mm stuff in about a mtr length for around £8 or something

can post up links ether until ou have 10 posts.

this is the stuff im on about
713024-ab0-00co_full.jpg

it stretchs out to around a meter length

Looks spot on mate, can you send me the link to that?

Also, how do you suggest I attach that to the existing tubing? I was thinking of using maybe a jubilee clip but that might not be best.

Cheers.

Actually I've had an idea, that tubing has a greater diameter than the current standard tubing on the car. Its also long enough to reach across the full engine so i could just pull it over the standard tubing so its all the same colour and not half black and half aluminium, if you know what i mean lol?

Could do, just had a look and that would be probably the best solution, will upload pics etc. when its all done.

theres no point fitting a bigger pipe and having something inside it reducing airflow.
especially on a small engine and with intake right behind the engine you want as much cold air as possible

youll also need a couple more posts before you can post up pics. take part in the torque car quiz, couple of polls etc

Went and had a look at this ducting at Wickes today and it wont work, its too stiff to clamp tight and eventually it just rips, its not very flexable either.

I really cant think of what else to use, is there nothing actually designed specifically for my purpose?

silicone pipes, or you can get the same ducting in PVC thats strengthened with wire ( same stuff thats giving with tumble dryer etc. i wouldnt use this in the engine bay due to the heat.
if youve got a bit of money you could fabriate a pipe up using draining pipe style and ether fiberglass it or get a pipe bender or exhaust centre to make you one up

Alloy piping and/or silicone joiners. Not too cheap but it's the best thing for the job. You want smooth piping for best results, not that ridged stuff.

If it were me, I'd pipe from the inlet down to the front of the car somewhere behind the bumper and put the filter on the end there. I've seen proof on the smaller engined Fiats that this works better than a filter on the inlet and air feed up to it. Hope that makes sense.

Alloy piping and/or silicone joiners. Not too cheap but it's the best thing for the job. You want smooth piping for best results, not that ridged stuff.

If it were me, I'd pipe from the inlet down to the front of the car somewhere behind the bumper and put the filter on the end there. I've seen proof on the smaller engined Fiats that this works better than a filter on the inlet and air feed up to it. Hope that makes sense.

Yeah that makes more sense tbh. Where can I get some piping that you recommend?

silicone pipes, or you can get the same ducting in PVC thats strengthened with wire ( same stuff thats giving with tumble dryer etc. i wouldnt use this in the engine bay due to the heat.
if youve got a bit of money you could fabriate a pipe up using draining pipe style and ether fiberglass it or get a pipe bender or exhaust centre to make you one up

I was thinking of PVC but I think temperature will definately be a big risk.

I dont mind paying a decent amount of money for a pre-made pipe but i'm not too keen on making my own pipe and buying my own tools etc.