Computer Tuning

TommyTwinCams

Track Warrior
Car
2004 Saturn Ion 2.2
I'm a complete novice when it comes to tuning. I've never dealt with it before, and I've never liked the idea of having to rely on additional car's own original other than the computer's own to run the engine safely.

If I had a 2005 Saturn Ion, I wouldn't worry about this, since I could then just call Trifecta up and get a mail order tune I could program into the stock computer. But I have a 2004. A popular way around the un-tuneable nature of the 2003-2004 Saturn Ion's stock ECM is to use an Apexi SAFC2 to tune the car. I looked into how it works, essentially just reworking things related to the air/fuel ratio. It works, but seems really primitive. And for my plans, I'm not sure that would be enough. I want to supercharge my Saturn's Z22SE to 220 HP, but I'm not sure the SAFC2 will allow a reliable tune as the car is a daily driver.

The other option would be a Megasquirt 2 piggy-back ECU, which I'd feel safer about, but they're more expensive

The reason this came up is I was offered a used SAFC2, from a fellow 2004 Ion owner who used it on his car, and it would come with a pre-done tune specifically tailored to the engine. But I'm not sure if it would be able to meet my demands. ON THE OTHER HAND< I ran across some professional cars using SAFC2 to tune, including a turbocharged 2004 Dodge Neon SRT4 (which went down the 1/4 mile in 11 seconds), and a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, so I dunno. Anyone have experience with these tuners?

Last edited:
I run MS1 in my MX5 and have had no trouble other than 1 mod i did to get rid of a miss.
It was the first pnp model they have fixed the problem now.
I like that you can add different abilities to the ms1.
Heaps of help on line. You can actually get things sorted by the guys that make them.
Unless you need something the ms2 does better I recomedd the ms1, don't see any reason to pay for applications you don't use.

TTC if you are upgrading to an aftermarket EMS/computer then I would look for a tuner that is familiar with the one you get.
Suggest you also join a site that is solely for your car as there is sure to be heaps of info there.