computer just gone mad

mad4vauxhall

Car
v6 2.5 vectra sri
hi all

Just wondering if anyone can help me was driving my 2.5 v6 sri around the other day and i noticed that the computer was reading 99.9 average mpg. then i switched it over to distance and noticed it was counting up when i was stationary? Nothin on it is actually reading right, apart from the stop watch i think. Is there a possibility that a sensor has gone a bit wrong, have noticed the car has had a oil leak and everything under the engine is caked in oil, if that helps.

replies very welcome thanks

Its a possiblity bud but saying that my speedo on my mfd says am doing 40 mph when i have been stood still lol some one told me it needs to go on teck2 at vauxhall but i aint taking it there best thing to do is find out were the leak is coming from and clean it up then see what happens:)

The oil situation shouldn't interfear with the fuel computer. Try replacing the ABS sensor as thewse do what you are suggesting before they die completly and when this happens you wont even have a speedo working. So get yourself out to the car, take off the front passanger wheel, and have a look at the piston shaped sensor that looks like its pointing to the outside of the brake disk. If this is caked in mud and crap, this will be the problem and your sensor is on the way out. Very easy to replace (takes about 5-10mins) and shouldn't cost the earth. This is where I would start ;)

Right have had a look thought better check it out now, Dont seem to be anything wrong with the sensor, its quite clean. Not liking looking under the car for the amount of oil that there is, think its comin out of the sump gasket ( a job i wasnt wishin to do). Anyways still no wiser with the computer, im not gonna buy a new sensor , as there about 60 plus quid and if it doesnt sort it then its a waste of money, unless of course the speedo stops which would then confirm bad63r suggestion. Surely the comp itself isnt sh..ged?.
Startin to get annoyed with the car , only bought it in feb and it seems like one prob after another, it still runs hot and the heater dont work when the temp is near 100c. computer failing when it was workin fine, bad v bad it would appear oil leak thought i sorted it, as seemed to be coming from one of the block feed pipe union nuts at the front, but now ive seen underneath well it could be coming from anywhere, sump, gearbox, crank, i dont know, thanks for the help though much appreciated.

Try tightening up the sump bolts, this might be enough to stop the leak.:D (If you are lucky!)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back