Component speakers

Im looking for a simple setup, just 2 components, with tweeters for my front doors, a suitable amp and headunit.
I want a setup that can handle a high volume with clarity, Im not concerned about looks.
My budget is £400

Ok, well you will need tweeters on the dashboard or pod mounted versions that can be fitted on the top of the front doors and angled towards you if possible, or fit them on the top of the A pillars.
You want the high frequency sound to hit your ears and not your ankles.

Then the best size mid/woofer that you can squeeze into the front door if you want that slightly better bass response with vocal definition.
I say midwoofer as you will be missing out on detailed vocals if you just go for a tweeter and woofer set up.

Are you capable of fitting this system yourself or does that budget include professional fitting?

Have a look on here: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/home.html

These people do quite a few packages which should be within budget for you.

Good luck with the new system :)

the budget is just for the system, Ill be fitting it my self.
Ive used that site before for my first install and I cant fault them.
Can you recommend any good makes? Im thinking about JL and Alpine?

cheers

They are both very good makes and you will be very happy with them.
I am often reluctant to recommend manufacturers when there is a tight budget available. If the car gods are with you, then you should be able to buy equipment from a branded and recognised name. Do your research well and don't forget to look at the clearance section, sometimes your budget can be made to stretch even further with quality items for lower prices. ;)

Another question, Ive noticed some real expensive kits with lower RMS and MAX power outputs than other kits that are half the price, what should I look for besides RMS power and the HZ frequency?

Well for your set up that about covers it really! Make sure that your speaker power is rated in RMS and higher than the amplifier channel rating or they will not last long.
Also the higher the frequency and the lower the frequency the better i.e. the human ear limits are between 20hz & 20khz. Below 20 hz you will feel this a lot more - sub woofer/bass. But this does not really concern you for what you are asking off your system. If you are doing this to a tight budget then i'm afraid you cannot afford to be too fussy with frequency response and power.
When funds allow and more importantly - if you can still sleep at night knowing an expensive stereo is in the car outside on display! then you can go crazy with all the toys, gadgets, flutes and whistles.

Im looking for a simple setup, just 2 components, with tweeters for my front doors, a suitable amp and headunit.
I want a setup that can handle a high volume with clarity, Im not concerned about looks.
My budget is £400

just to say that for 400 you wont get much in the way of quality if its including a decent head unit as well

£400 is less than the likely cost of replacing a factory fit system to be honest. My BMW has a less than impressive OEM setup and the HU alone is over £500 as a replacement. It's not a patch on some of the JBL/Harmon-Kardon setups that Peugeot and Jaguar, for example, fit at the factory.

Considering that the previous owner of this car bought it new for just over £40,000. This included some options, in fairness. But even so, it's was an expensive car and the audio could have been better in my opinion.

Strangely, BMW service parts from the dealer (pads, discs, filters, wiper blades etc.) are incredibly cheap; the Becker head unit is a rip off as a replacement item.

There are some good deals to be had online so long as you don't mind doing some work yourself.

But for £400 you are not going to get sensational audio.

Forget about specs, power output, harmonic distortion etc, low end frequency response are all very subjective to the listener.

Last edited:
Exactly PG & HDi, which was why I was trying to steer him towards the clearance section. Even doing the fitting himself it will be tight on his budget.
I wish him luck anyway as it is a big ask ;)

400 notes for headunit, components and an amp?
Plenty of cash for that.
For a start you won't need an amp for the components. Go for some alpine slimline components. Think they are rated at 50w rms. A decent headunit will power them with ease and they will be plenty loud enough.

400 notes for headunit, components and an amp?
Plenty of cash for that.
For a start you won't need an amp for the components. Go for some alpine slimline components. Think they are rated at 50w rms. A decent headunit will power them with ease and they will be plenty loud enough.

That's good news TN because down here in rip-off London that is cutting it mighty fine!

Hmm thanks for the advice all, I've had to set a low budget due to my insurance renewal and Xmas approaching. My boss has kindly let me drive on the garage insurance so I should be able to invest ao bit more.
I've decided to go step by step, I've already got a half decent alpine headunit so think ill just look for the speakers and power supply for now

I had some Hertz Energy Speakers in my last car which sounded great. From memory they were about £150 and they came with separate tweeters and crossovers. Shame I had to sell the car :(