Coloured Window Tinting.

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
Hi all,

I have been looking around on the internet and found out that you can tint your windows different colours and not just black (something I didn't know before).

Was wondering if the law about tinting your windows too dark still applies her or if it is different?

And if anyone on here has a coloured window tint would be great to hear about it!

Corey.

you can tint any windows apart from windscreen (obviously) and front driver and passenger doors

all other windows you can do any colour any darkness with no problems at all

No :)

you can get away with a sunstrip on the windscreen as long as its not too deep but nothing more and your not allowed any tint on the front windows at all.

People do tint the front windows but if you are stopped by the police they will get you to remove all or some of the tint at the road side and possibly give you a fine.

Most window tinting places will tint your front windows for you as long as you sign a disclamer to say that you are aware that it is an illegal modification.

Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement

The UK Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Act details the legality of window tinting in the UK - and as amended specifies the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen and front side windows.

For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:

a) Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
b) The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%. (pre 1/4/85 this is 70%)
c) The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, the vehicle is breaking UK Window tinting law.

Last edited:
99.9% of side windows are tinted to maximum legal level as stock so anything added to them is illegal.

Which is why any front windows we tint need to have disclamer signed before they are done.