Colour Coding

Pixel

Road Burner
Car
Ford Fiesta Zetec-S
Colour Coding

I fancy colour coding my orange 206, ive seen one around and it looks mint! Is an expensive job or some DIY? Is it just a case of removing the plastics, painting them to the colour and putting them back on?

Any & All help appreciated!

Pixel

dunno sorry
could be a bit of a prob getting a perfet match with the original paintwork

bodyshop would be able to paint them for you and "dust" the parts that are on the original paint, bump strips etc

Colour coding bumpers, trim etc isn't too much of a problem if you can spray or have the time and money to practise untill you get it right. Also, the bits you want to spray have to be extra, extra clean to the point of almost being sterile, otherwise the paint will not take to the surface and will bubble/peel off. Paintwork is 90% prep work and 10% painting. It is time consuming but worth it in the end.

fingers said:
Colour coding bumpers, trim etc isn't too much of a problem if you can spray or have the time and money to practise untill you get it right. Also, the bits you want to spray have to be extra, extra clean to the point of almost being sterile, otherwise the paint will not take to the surface and will bubble/peel off. Paintwork is 90% prep work and 10% painting. It is time consuming but worth it in the end.

Thanks, thats pretty useful to me. So If I have the time to spare and I can get a pretty damh close paint match then I could with help of a friend, do it myself? But id have to make it extra, extra clean. Can this be done outside? or must it be done inside and how would I get it sterile? The only thing I refer to being sterile to boiling sheets in water to kill bacteria but i'm sure you don't suggest that I boil my trim? ... My bumpers are colour coded but I want to paint everything else.

would try and do the painting inside due to the wind

by sterile i think fingers means very very cleans all traces of wax polish dirt etc

lightly sanding before priming and inbetween coats wil give a better finish

funny the only thing ive spray painted is shoes

pgarner said:
by sterile i think fingers means very very cleans all traces of wax polish dirt etc

Thats what I meant. :wink: I normally use a liquid buffer of some sort to clean abd prep a surface before I paint.

Paint can be done out side but you need to do it on a dry day, I usually do mine outside now.

Also when you paint you need to have a good sweep up first. Get a bit of dust in your paint and you have to start again.

Haynes do a manual fo body repairs, a worth while read if your goung to do it yourself.

I dont want to rush anyone and Id be gratefull for the help, feel free to do it when you have nothing better to do. Could someone write me up a brief step by step guide, from removing the trim, cleaning to painting. Whats primer? lol and sanding in between? Ah its all so confusing to me! What paint do I use? Car paint? from halfords? As they can usually match colours pretty well. How many coats, do I spray or brush it on? So many questions yet I have so little knowledge!

Pixel said:
I dont want to rush anyone and Id be gratefull for the help, feel free to do it when you have nothing better to do. Could someone write me up a brief step by step guide, from removing the trim, cleaning to painting. Whats primer? lol and sanding in between? Ah its all so confusing to me! What paint do I use? Car paint? from halfords? As they can usually match colours pretty well. How many coats, do I spray or brush it on? So many questions yet I have so little knowledge!

best bet is to get a haynes manual as all cars can be different for removal of trims. have a look around each part paying close attention for screws or clips

primer is like an undercoat, youll find it beside the spray paint (go for the colour closest to yours not sure if you get orange but u might do). it sticks to the plastic / metal / wood /etc better than the paint usually will. then lightly sand down with wet and dry paper with LOTS of water. light coat of spray paint leave to dry then lightly rub down again to make the surface of the paint more rough ( this increases the surface area for the next coat to stick to ) after the final coat, see below, give a coat of clear lacquer to seal the paint (again with the spray paints)

as for number of coats, it varies just remember that several thin coats are much better than 1 thick as this will most likely run and look rubbish

without using primer you may find that paint peels off

fingers said to have a look at the bodywork haynes manual have a look and see if it has a section on painting

There is an article on Plastic painting in the styling section - you might want to give that a quick read through.

just read the article have to agree with the bit at the end dont worry about plastic paint, its more expensive, the only time you need this is one parts that need to be flexible for example i cant think of anything in a car so in my case shoes (dont ask saves polish )