Colour changing paint

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Would you like paint that changes colour on your car? I'm not talking about flip paints that look different depending on the angle you look at the from but a real colour change paint.

I've been reading on a paint that goes brighter in dark wet weather (Acid yellow) then in the bright sunshine it changes to white to reflect away the heat and on a typical day it is red. The colour change takes effect in 10 seconds and appears to be driven by a magnetic field.

Even if this is just fiction would it be useful? Will this sort of thing catch on?

It's not fiction. ABS Motorsport painted a Mk1 Punto in heat reactive paint a few years back. The car disappeared off the radar, then re-appeared resprayed in a different colour before being broken recently. Some of the parts from it will still be on ebay.

See if I can dig out the details for you but there's photos of handprints in a different colour on it where Tony has just laid his hands on it for a few seconds. Ace!

what colour was it registered as on the log book:blink:

so they are using the same substance that used to be in the t shirts back in the early 90's??

084809.jpg

That's the car when very cold. Can't find the handprinte pics :(

what colour was it registered as on the log book:blink:

so they are using the same substance that used to be in the t shirts back in the early 90's??

Global Hyper Colour T shirts, still got one somewhere! :amuse:

Don't say I never show you anything cool :)

You never show anything cool. :p

That is a great paint job though, but I think I would get very depressed with peoples hand prints all over it! :lol: