Torque Cars

Cold start in the morning, vehicle stalls on the first start attempt.

Discussion in '5 Series' started by heijunka1, 19 November 2010.

1. heijunka1

heijunka1 Newbie

usa woodstock
    Car:
    BMW 525i
    When I attempt to start my 525i in the morning, it dies after the first attempt, on second attempt I have to revv it a little for it to remain idle...any help with this?

I replaced Fuel filter thinking this was the issue, apprently not....

2. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Post got caught in the moderation queue for some reason?
    Welcome to the forum pal.

3. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Oh yeah and if it's petrol have a go at cleaning the throttle body with carb cleaner.

4. heijunka1

heijunka1 Newbie

usa woodstock
    Car:
    BMW 525i
    I also thought about the idle air by pass valve, however where do I find that on my engine? I thought removing the covers would reveal the Idle air bypass, but not there, at least how I thoguht the part shoulg look. But, back to the point of the throttle body, where is this located, I'm an old Ford guy that made a switch to BMW.

5. stamford

stamford Pro Tuner

Hampshire
    Car:
    MG ZS200
    Cold start circuit playing up and not giving you the right mix. Clean sensors around throttle body, probably IACV.

HDi fun likes this.
  6. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Which 5 series are we discussing? The M52/M54 engines did have some reported problems with the VANOS (variable valve timing) unit.

Such problems can manifest in a multitude of ways.

This particular valve timing system does provide its own internal EGR mechanism and often the simple EGR valve is blamed, replaced and offers no improvement in driveability.

7. Johnssons

Johnssons New member

USA
    Car:
    Honda City
    I think its the problem of throttle body.