Cold Air Induction Kits

Ether mate really all your going to get from it is noise. the diesels flow pretty well as standard so a panel filter and smooth airbox can give the same gains for £40 than a £200 induction it

I must admit I quite like the CDA air boxes but as a cheaper equivalent go to CBS

£40 instead of £150+ is not a bad price

Simple answer is I dont know........But I have seen them in the flesh, the carbon box is of equal quality but they are a little smaller diameter for my aplication but would be perfect for anything of lesser BHPs even though the CBS ones are 'alledgedly' rated to 450bhp.

The cone filter itself does not look as good as the CDA but still for the money a good buy, I would not hesitate to use one on my Cougar

Fair enough. I've wondered about the filtration capability of stainless steel filters though? Does very fine stuff get throught and block the injectors or does it get washed away by the detergents in the fuel?

Any small particals will just simply get blown out through the exhaust and will not cause any trouble to your injectors, big lumps of crud is another matter :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pipercross flat panel cost me £35 quid and works a charm mate!! All your going to get from an induction kit is an annoying droning noise and the same gain if not less depending on the kit! I'd avoid the 200 quid and go for the cheaper option.

Probably a liitle late now anyway?!

I just fitted a pair of these...

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-x150-induction-adaptation-using-cda-boxes-7044.jpg

I had to modify them a bit to take the air flow meters, made a couple of flanges up and bolted the lot together, it worked well, was not cheap, £500 in parts alone, that did include a couple of 3" ali bends and some silicone hoses

Here's a pic of the CDA in situ, the front is pointing at the lower front grille even though you cant see it in this pic very well

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-induction-kit-fitted-7046.jpg

I changed the front bumper, fitted a rear diffuser, uprated exhaust with switchable baffles, changed the side sill covers, larger rear spoiler, fitted 400mm brakes with 6 pot Alcons, carbon wrapped various parts including the roof, the wheels were painted anthracite..

Mean and moody ;)

xkracer-70408-albums-jaguars-i-have-worked-1860-picture-x150-xkrs-conversion-7043.jpg

your not wrong T9, I have a massive soft spot for those Jaaaaaags, and the noise of that V8 is incredible,

Is the bodykit aftermarket or a factory jobbie? either way it really sets it off nicely

I must admit you cant here the induction too much over the exhaust, with the added switch for the baffles for that extra bit of noise is very addictive.

The kit is basically OE the front bumper is 2011 model the front splitter, rear spoiler and rear diffuser are from the RS, the side sills are from the XK60

So it is all a bit of a mish mash but all Jaguar, the original car is a 2007 XKR, certainly drives well and is a pretty quick car.

Hahaha don't worry T9 I love your car just as much, I think yours is lighter too (at a guess) so doesn't need as big a kit? Bigger isn't always better when it comes to brakes tbh.

In this car I fitted a K & N flat panel but lets just say I went a bit over board with the body mods ;)

ME23.jpg

Threw a bit of engine bling at it too

engine.jpg

front3b.jpg

A lot if the posts are about simple change of air filter - not a cold box

as I have always had them as difefrent.

To me sports induction is getting more air in and if it is in the same place (as most filter systems are) its not a cold box.

A cold box is only any use when you are producing a lot of heat - normally turbo engines on high boost . It also works best with some sort of "ram" air intake to make sure the air is cool

And if you change the filter for the sound thats definately NOT a cold box .
Absolutely fine to do (if thats your thing ) but not a cold box.

A lot if the posts are about simple change of air filter - not a cold box

as I have always had them as difefrent.

To me sports induction is getting more air in and if it is in the same place (as most filter systems are) its not a cold box.

A cold box is only any use when you are producing a lot of heat - normally turbo engines on high boost . It also works best with some sort of "ram" air intake to make sure the air is cool

And if you change the filter for the sound thats definately NOT a cold box .
Absolutely fine to do (if thats your thing ) but not a cold box.

In my experience you get better result's with a Na engine when installed properly.
With a turbocharged engine the temps will on go as low as the intercooler will let them.
To lower intake temps on a turbo you fit and IC spray or something as fitting a CAI will do just about nothing to a turbo engine in terms of intake temps.

You want to fit something thats has had good reviews and works, try a Killer Chiller, the US boys love them for super and turbo charged cars.

I know one guy who has it on his XKR and you can see condensation building up on the outside of the charge coolers as they are so cold and for £500 I would say might be worth a looksee

In my experience you get better result's with a Na engine when installed properly.
With a turbocharged engine the temps will on go as low as the intercooler will let them.
To lower intake temps on a turbo you fit and IC spray or something as fitting a CAI will do just about nothing to a turbo engine in terms of intake temps.

Best we agrree to disagree :)

Its true of course that an intercooler cools the air but if the air going in is very hot it wont cool as well as if it only warm or better still cool to start with.

Some engines - particually twin turbo rbs on high boost run really hot - If you open the bonnett on mine , just for a moment you get hit by a wall of heat as engine bay is like a sauna when the bonnett is shut.
This means wherever the air comes from its hot as the bonnett stays shut when driving (obviously) This has to mean the intercooler doesnt cool the air as much
Most of the of high power track skylines have induction cooling mods of some design and pretty much none of them use a cooling spray. (although it is known to work on scoobies for example)

In fact I am halfway through building an insulated cold box for the twin filters on mine . It will be force fed with cooler outside from air rather than the hot air under the bonnett. This is a direct result of talking to one of the big racing names on the skyline scene who has one on his track car.

Unfortunately its pretty much impossible to check if the engine makes more power as on a dyno I wont get the forced induction with cool air as the car will be stationary.
Still its a known fact that cooler air does improve things so its something to try as it can only help.
I will post some pics as things progress

I agree with you sleeper, the colder the air enters the turbo if the same amount of energy is used to heat it up, the cooler it will leave the turbo. I don't think it's AS important as in an N/A car (due to intercooling) but the more boost and power you are running the more important it becomes imo.

I agree with you sleeper, the colder the air enters the turbo if the same amount of energy is used to heat it up, the cooler it will leave the turbo. I don't think it's AS important as in an N/A car (due to intercooling) but the more boost and power you are running the more important it becomes imo.

That I can agree with, what I was trying to say was you'd get better results off an NA than you would a turbo charged motor due to the intercooler.

Fair point.

Of course some engines run a lot hotter than others so the difference will vary from car to car (in both na and turbo engines)

Basically you are trying to get as much MASS of air in as poss. Cold air is cooler so for a given pressure you will get more mass of air into the cylinders. More mass equals more power. Any way of getting colder air into the induction will improve performance so taking it from outside the engine bay has got to help.