Cold Air Induction Kits

SLEEPER

Pro Tuner
A lot if the posts are about simple change of air filter - not a cold box

as I have always had them as difefrent.

To me sports induction is getting more air in and if it is in the same place (as most filter systems are) its not a cold box.

A cold box is only any use when you are producing a lot of heat - normally turbo engines on high boost . It also works best with some sort of "ram" air intake to make sure the air is cool

And if you change the filter for the sound thats definately NOT a cold box .
Absolutely fine to do (if thats your thing ) but not a cold box.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
From
Alone in the dark.
Car
Insignia SRI.
A lot if the posts are about simple change of air filter - not a cold box

as I have always had them as difefrent.

To me sports induction is getting more air in and if it is in the same place (as most filter systems are) its not a cold box.

A cold box is only any use when you are producing a lot of heat - normally turbo engines on high boost . It also works best with some sort of "ram" air intake to make sure the air is cool

And if you change the filter for the sound thats definately NOT a cold box .
Absolutely fine to do (if thats your thing ) but not a cold box.

In my experience you get better result's with a Na engine when installed properly.
With a turbocharged engine the temps will on go as low as the intercooler will let them.
To lower intake temps on a turbo you fit and IC spray or something as fitting a CAI will do just about nothing to a turbo engine in terms of intake temps.

Jagz

Torque Junkie
From
Norwich UK
Car
Jaguar XKR
You want to fit something thats has had good reviews and works, try a Killer Chiller, the US boys love them for super and turbo charged cars.

I know one guy who has it on his XKR and you can see condensation building up on the outside of the charge coolers as they are so cold and for £500 I would say might be worth a looksee

SLEEPER

Pro Tuner
In my experience you get better result's with a Na engine when installed properly.
With a turbocharged engine the temps will on go as low as the intercooler will let them.
To lower intake temps on a turbo you fit and IC spray or something as fitting a CAI will do just about nothing to a turbo engine in terms of intake temps.

Best we agrree to disagree :)

Its true of course that an intercooler cools the air but if the air going in is very hot it wont cool as well as if it only warm or better still cool to start with.

Some engines - particually twin turbo rbs on high boost run really hot - If you open the bonnett on mine , just for a moment you get hit by a wall of heat as engine bay is like a sauna when the bonnett is shut.
This means wherever the air comes from its hot as the bonnett stays shut when driving (obviously) This has to mean the intercooler doesnt cool the air as much
Most of the of high power track skylines have induction cooling mods of some design and pretty much none of them use a cooling spray. (although it is known to work on scoobies for example)

In fact I am halfway through building an insulated cold box for the twin filters on mine . It will be force fed with cooler outside from air rather than the hot air under the bonnett. This is a direct result of talking to one of the big racing names on the skyline scene who has one on his track car.

Unfortunately its pretty much impossible to check if the engine makes more power as on a dyno I wont get the forced induction with cool air as the car will be stationary.
Still its a known fact that cooler air does improve things so its something to try as it can only help.
I will post some pics as things progress

MasterAuron

Very Senior Member
From
379bhp 359lbft
Car
Mk1 Focus RS
I agree with you sleeper, the colder the air enters the turbo if the same amount of energy is used to heat it up, the cooler it will leave the turbo. I don't think it's AS important as in an N/A car (due to intercooling) but the more boost and power you are running the more important it becomes imo.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
From
Alone in the dark.
Car
Insignia SRI.
I agree with you sleeper, the colder the air enters the turbo if the same amount of energy is used to heat it up, the cooler it will leave the turbo. I don't think it's AS important as in an N/A car (due to intercooling) but the more boost and power you are running the more important it becomes imo.
That I can agree with, what I was trying to say was you'd get better results off an NA than you would a turbo charged motor due to the intercooler.

SLEEPER

Pro Tuner
Fair point.

Of course some engines run a lot hotter than others so the difference will vary from car to car (in both na and turbo engines)

ClarkTrent

From
Salfords England
Car
SEAT Leon FR
Basically you are trying to get as much MASS of air in as poss. Cold air is cooler so for a given pressure you will get more mass of air into the cylinders. More mass equals more power. Any way of getting colder air into the induction will improve performance so taking it from outside the engine bay has got to help.