Cold air engine intake in the aftermarket...and electrorefrigeration...?

Car
1998 Chevy Tahoe
One of the stranger things I've seen in the aftermarket, is the extraordinary number of "cold air engine intake" replacements which are visibly positioned to suck in the hot air available at the top of the engine compartment, right next to the intake manifold. This is supposed to be better than the stock approach, which for decades has generally pulled the coldest air available, e.g., wheel-well air, or air at the level of the oil pan. I actually tested the theory myself a while back, using a large fireproof hose which I routed to various places, and most certainly, best behavior was as low as I could reasonably go while being well off the ground and away from exhaust!

The hose approach worked great on that vehicle (my long-defunct '75 Lincoln...), but anything newer will need a much more intelligent thought. My Tahoe has an oddly complex air intake which I don't understand, it seems to take some from the wheel-well and some from the opposite side, or something. I'll add pix when I have time to do it right. No moving parts that I have been able to find. But the obvious question becomes, what really can we do best for this? And has anyone tried electrorefrigeration??? :) I'm not sure it's worth it, and probably not that 30A monster, but maybe...

Colder air does carry more oxygen, but induction kits are a waste of time, unless as you say you fit a cold air feed to them.

On a turbo engine, the turbo will raise the intake temp considerably so an intercooler helps bring the air charge temp down a little so this makes the overall intake temp fairly academic though.

I doubt this would add more power that it will sap through the alternator!

You don't want to be sucking up water so wheel well recesses are good. A short run is always better, and don't worry about RAM AIR, this doesn't do anything unless you drive at 100mph - the car will suck in the air with quite a bit of force.

A subtle vent in the bonnet is another route you could take, as long as it's covered to keep out rain and water will bead around it rather than in it you should be ok.