CO Issues

claymore

The Torque Meister
Car
T-10k,
Took the Volvo for it's MOT yesterday, does anyone think I might have a problem with my emmisions?

CO2 = 13.08%

HC = 1117 ppm

Lambda = 0.63

Re: CO2 Issues

CO2 isn't measured, CO is.

If it's 13.08% CO by mass then it's a fail but if it was that high you'd be getting about 5mpg.

Hydrocarbons I think needs to be within 1000ppm

Lambda refers to oxygen content of exhaust gases - the ideal value is 1 I think.

sorry hdi, yes I ment co

co should be 0.3 % mine 13.08%

hc should be 200 ppm mine 1117 ppm,

still I suppose my bores will have had a good wash :)

OK 13.08% is way off limits. 0.3% is a max. Since 1997 I've run a Primera (new in '97), a 406 2.2 HDi, and the current BMW 528i. These all have read 0.01% or lower on CO (even at interstellar mileages). HC I don't recall the readings (though I can fetch out the test certs if this would help you) but I've never had a car fail on emissions. Not even close to a fail.

Any ideas why it's so high? Perhaps the examiner just tested it wrongly ie. engine not at full operating temp??

We need to get the figures down so you can pass the MoT safely and legally and I'm happy to throw around ideas to help you resolve this.

Over 2 U

cheers for the offer of help mate, but the problem is due to the ecu not having a clue how to fuel a car with a turbocharger and a supercharger running, I will be bypassing the sc for the re-test, I knew it was going to fail on the emmisions but was surprised by how much. once the car is mapped in a few weeks all will be well.

cheers for the offer of help mate, but the problem is due to the ecu not having a clue how to fuel a car with a turbocharger and a supercharger running, I will be bypassing the sc for the re-test, I knew it was going to fail on the emmisions but was surprised by how much. once the car is mapped in a few weeks all will be well.

The SC is, as you say, likely to cause erratic readings. That is because it imposes a direct mechanical load on the engine.

Heated seats and A/C compressors running at idle during the MoT emissions test can do the same thing. They cause the alternator to load up and thus present a mechanical load which means that the engine is ever so slightly over-fuelling to maintain these systems at idle speed.

Even so, 13% plus seems very high. How about a dose of injector cleaner? (Forte's Gas Treatment is good for this particular purpose, ie. MoT compliance).

I think its more to do with the ecu trying to fuel an engine which is boosting from tick-over as opposed to 2000rpm, once I bypass the supercharger the readings will come straight back down to normal within a couple of miles.

I think its more to do with the ecu trying to fuel an engine which is boosting from tick-over as opposed to 2000rpm, once I bypass the supercharger the readings will come straight back down to normal within a couple of miles.

Yes, they should indeed.

By totally bypassing the mechanical supercharger (ie. drive belt off to completely remove load) then it ought to pass the quick test with ease.

You have to be aware that if you present a car for MoT testing then you should present it in the way that it's typically used.

If, after the pass cert is issued, you proceed to re-connect the supercharger then your car will technically not have a valid MoT.

I'll run without the SC until it get's mapped, as it happens it will be getting mapped at the same place it's being mot'd.

:lol: That is an epic fail. I bet the exhaust was almost solid dust rather than vapour. You could stick a diesel particulate filter on it?

I am a bit suprised as I assumed it would run lean rather than rich. I am also amazed the things running without a remap at all.

:lol: That is an epic fail. I bet the exhaust was almost solid dust rather than vapour. You could stick a diesel particulate filter on it?

I am a bit surprised as I assumed it would run lean rather than rich. I am also amazed the things running without a remap at all.

Lol, when I took my fiat to be mot'd there a few years ago, it smoked so badly (before it was mapped) it set off the fire alarms...lol
if you think about it, the sc is drawing so much air through the maf, it thinks it needs more fuel, at tick over most of the boost produced is being blown out of the recirc valve., one way around the problem would be a bigger maf housing (which is in the pipeline) or have a "Y" pipe before the maf, so that i can draw air from two inlets, so theoretically halving the air going through the maf,

Last edited:

But you do use unburned fuel as an anti lag device and for additional cooling :)

A while ago I referred to your car as a horizontal chimney fire :) :)

But you do use unburned fuel as an anti lag device and for additional cooling :)

A while ago I referred to your car as a horizontal chimney fire :) :)
You wern't wrong were you Paul, although the anti lag has gone now (I don't have any lag now :) )

I've heard of a guy injecting N2O and methanol in his exhaust and uses it as an anti lag system and he get no flames or popping or spitting...