Clio tapping noise top end 1.5 dci 68bhp (new shape)

chester

Wrench Pro
Car
renault clio 1.5dci
Hi everybody,

I have a clio dci 1.5 68bhp and its been recently making a tapping noise which is even worse when cold.

I have been told today by my mechanic that it most probably needs an engine rebuild (crank shaft??) (I cant remember exactly which part he said) but basically it may cost over a grand.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice? I want a second opinion so i'll try and go see renault tomorrow.

Also without jumping the gun, does anybody know what the prices for a 106bhp 1.5 dci engine would cost? I figure that if theyre taking the engine out then I should at least look into changing the engine for something a bit more powerful.

Thanks for any advice

Adam

i was on about changing the whole lot. putting in 1/4 ltr when the other 4 ltrs is out of grade isnt going to make the slightest difference.
new oil and filter would be a starting point for around £40 you can do it yourself.

have you run it on low oil for anytime ? if the crank had went you couldnt have driving it, as this is what turns the vertical movements into the turning movemets

as for the price for a 2nd hand engine i would say £1.5 - 2k depending on condition

Yeah i understood what you meant thanks. I was just saying he added oil but
I had planned to change it asap.

Is it a knocking or a ticking noise? If it is at the top of the engine then I can't see it being the crank.

Its more of a knocking noise. Very loud!! I havnt driven it for a while as I am waiting for new quotes. Apparently mechanic said it could be the big end!? I wouldnt know what that is.

Just been quoted a new engine for under £3k which has all ancilleries, has been completely reconditioned and has 12k miles on the clock, also has a 12 month warranty. The car's only worth £3k! The car had done 97k miles in the last four years and maybe the remap has put too much strain on it as it was a generic remap rather than custom fit to the car?

I cant describe the noise any better than a loud knocking noise. I trust the mechanic who will be repairing it tbh

I was tempted to just scrap it and get a cheap runaround but then be left with an old car which may have problems of its own. Catch 22!?

Last edited:
*BUMP*

UPDATE:

Clio DCI 68 55 reg
97k serviced every 6 months by local experienced garage!!!

The car went into the garage with a loud knocking noise in OCTOBER 2009.

I'm still waiting for it to be reconditioned and fitted hopefully this week

The problem was apparently a piston key which malfunctioned and so the piston came loose and then hit the cylinder head causing the knock and so the entire engine needed reconditioning. (does that make any sense?)

I'm not mechanically minded so forgive me if that doesn't make sense but I'll be getting letters from both the mechanic and reconditioners as they say theyve had 4 other engines with exactly the same problem with even less mileage! I'll write a letter to Renault. And when the reconditioned engine's warranty runs out I'll buy another car and nope it definately isnt going to be a renault!!

Any one else experienced this or have any advice??