clio modding tips advice?

MattyBoy07

Car
Renault Clio
Alright there, was just looking on google about ideas for my car and i came across this website thought it looked decent and thought i'd give it a try.

If im being totally honest i don't know ins and outs and upgrades and extras you could to your car i don't even know what some cars untill i see them only know most of the popular ones anywho it is quite fair to say i havent got the best knowledge of cars.

Tbh i only turned 18 in june. I am Still learning to drive and i'm hoping to have passed my test in the next month or so. However i have a car already yes its my first car so its not going to be anything special or i dont want to do a great deal of work on performance side simply because my insurance will be sky high.

I bought a t reg clio for £100 from a relative. I have done some work on it already, my dad serviced it all for me, put a new clutch in. Put some 17 inch alloy wheels on it. I put some led lights on the back. I gave it a facelift so its the mk3-2001-2005/6 model. Its only a 1.2 but that is good for me because of insurance and its my first car.

I aim to do quite a bit of work to the car simply because its my first car and i know its only a 1 .2 so a lot of people would see no point in doing anything to it. But as it is my first car i want to make it look different and kool:amuse: like my own little project to it and from seeing to how it was when i got it to when it is when im finished is just like something special and a hobby and this way ill always remember it. I'm looking to get a bodykit i have one in mind which i have seen, I do want to tint my windows, Get a custom exhaust systems putting sporty loud exhuasts on. I'm also looking to get sport seats inside atm. Im'm even thinking about getting neon lights now i have seen they arn't illegal on here. I'm also putting some decals of my tattoo on my car which i think is quite good. I aim to put hid light bulbs in. i also want to upgrade some basic elements for example it is a teg so putting central locking, getting it alarmed properly and converting the manual windows to electric windows .

this is just some of the stuff so as u can see i got quite a lot of plans any ideas of what else i can do or advice? cheers

sounds like you got it all planned out, when i passed my test i had an n- reg clio 1.2l had 123,000 on the clock, was brilliant, i then moved onto a renault clio 1.4l and there rapid with 100bhp there only group five on the insurance, and i love the renaults, i have now just bought my self a renault clio 2 litre sport and it was worth every penny. my only advice i can give you from my own xperience, is aim to get your insurance low for the first 2 years, save up and go for a nice big engine hot hatch, then you know you will keep it and you can then do modifications to how you want it. thats what i did and im glad i didnt spend money on my other cars, now that i got my new one i can spend the cash on this. good luck tho mate, every ones different. nice to meet you my names chris

sounds like you got it all planned out, when i passed my test i had an n- reg clio 1.2l had 123,000 on the clock, was brilliant, i then moved onto a renault clio 1.4l and there rapid with 100bhp there only group five on the insurance, and i love the renaults, i have now just bought my self a renault clio 2 litre sport and it was worth every penny. my only advice i can give you from my own xperience, is aim to get your insurance low for the first 2 years, save up and go for a nice big engine hot hatch, then you know you will keep it and you can then do modifications to how you want it. thats what i did and im glad i didnt spend money on my other cars, now that i got my new one i can spend the cash on this. good luck tho mate, every ones different. nice to meet you my names chris

sounds like you can't get enough of the clios! lol nice to meet you chris, where abouts in kent you from? what type of modifications you looking to do? And ye i know its my first car and what not bout i've had it set in my mind for ages what i wanted. The modifcations im doing shouldn't lift the insurance a great deal and what else are parents there for! lol and i already know what car im getting next my parents are getting me n audi tt in 3 years or so. But yeah you got any good ideas on any mods or just simple extra upgrades?

Hey and welcome to the site mate. were pretty much friendly bunch on here and will try to answer all your questions

1st sorry for all the downers but hopefully they will help you remain legal ;)

sorry to tell you the likes of the bodykit will load your premium up quite a bit by alot of insurance companies - it makes the car more appealing to thieves.

have you informed the insurance about the alloys and rear lights ? you should have noticed a difference there as even visual mods add a premuim onto most policies

regarding the neons and legality. they must be white at the front, amber at the sides and red at the back with the tubes non visible to be legal. anything else is off road use only. if you are wanting to go down this route i wouldnt use neons as the tubes are fragile youd be better off using LEDs

HIDs again theres legal issues with them, for them to be legal they needed to be fitted with the correct enclosures - this doesnt mean just projector lenses with different bulbs in (dont believe the crap that you will see when you buy headlights) you need the correct enclosures that take the D2 HID units.
you also have to have auto levelling system - the manual switch to adjust the beam isnt enough and headlight washers. most cars that have the HID conversions wont have done any of this and still be on the road as they units themselves are only tested for beam pattern and nothing else.

what else was there. window tints front three must be a max of 70% VLT - most manufactures arent far off this as standard. the rest iir can be as dark as you want.

as for parents insurance. if they are down as the main drivers and you as a named driver, who is driving the car all the time, then this is known as fronting and the insurance companies are cracking down on this. think about it are your parents really going to be driving around in a car with big bodykit, loud exhaust and neons ?

so its worth getting your own policy - your going to need to at somepoint anyway - and building up your own NCB. look to some companies who offer the bonus plans - 10 month years etc especially if your going for a TT next as the older ones are group 16,17 - i have the same gearbox and chassis as the FWD models and the later lower powered Quattro engines. - so you will see it near enough impossible to get insurance on that yourself.

youve said you want to do the work on it. did you help your dad with the servicing ? this is a good place to start. basic things such as sparks, filters and brakes can save you a fortune in garage bills but its worth having someone watching you until your confident in it yourself

good luck with your test mate and let us know how you get on

Hey and welcome to the site mate. were pretty much friendly bunch on here and will try to answer all your questions

1st sorry for all the downers but hopefully they will help you remain legal ;)

sorry to tell you the likes of the bodykit will load your premium up quite a bit by alot of insurance companies - it makes the car more appealing to thieves.

have you informed the insurance about the alloys and rear lights ? you should have noticed a difference there as even visual mods add a premuim onto most policies

regarding the neons and legality. they must be white at the front, amber at the sides and red at the back with the tubes non visible to be legal. anything else is off road use only. if you are wanting to go down this route i wouldnt use neons as the tubes are fragile youd be better off using LEDs

HIDs again theres legal issues with them, for them to be legal they needed to be fitted with the correct enclosures - this doesnt mean just projector lenses with different bulbs in (dont believe the crap that you will see when you buy headlights) you need the correct enclosures that take the D2 HID units.
you also have to have auto levelling system - the manual switch to adjust the beam isnt enough and headlight washers. most cars that have the HID conversions wont have done any of this and still be on the road as they units themselves are only tested for beam pattern and nothing else.

what else was there. window tints front three must be a max of 70% VLT - most manufactures arent far off this as standard. the rest iir can be as dark as you want.

as for parents insurance. if they are down as the main drivers and you as a named driver, who is driving the car all the time, then this is known as fronting and the insurance companies are cracking down on this. think about it are your parents really going to be driving around in a car with big bodykit, loud exhaust and neons ?

so its worth getting your own policy - your going to need to at somepoint anyway - and building up your own NCB. look to some companies who offer the bonus plans - 10 month years etc especially if your going for a TT next as the older ones are group 16,17 - i have the same gearbox and chassis as the FWD models and the later lower powered Quattro engines. - so you will see it near enough impossible to get insurance on that yourself.

youve said you want to do the work on it. did you help your dad with the servicing ? this is a good place to start. basic things such as sparks, filters and brakes can save you a fortune in garage bills but its worth having someone watching you until your confident in it yourself

good luck with your test mate and let us know how you get on

yeah no probs its not downers just giving me your advice and thats better as i dont know near as half as much as anyone on here.

:( Still gotta have one sorry lol i know some people arn't fans of them but i love them well most of them!

No im not even insured yet but i didn't think they would :embarrest:

yeah i have read that the neons have to be white and red on here but cheers for th e heads up, sorry if im being a nuisance would the leds have the same affect are the legalities the same as the neon what would b the exact difference? id still be able to put them under my motor sorry?

looks like a lot for them looks like more hassle than what they are worth tbh, dad has some spar xenon lights or something that will fit my clio that are bright that were in halfords that will do a good job and much cheaper?

Yeah i read that so i'm thinking of getting the back ones limo black and then whats the darkest i could get the front ones? and how do you know how much % is on the manufactured ones because i dont think mine would be much?

yeah im looking at getting some insurance my dad was looking at that puts me and my mum or someone on the same insurance so its cheaper but still enables me to build up my NCB and i meant for parents paying for it lol

My dad did it i watched him do it but he was under the car so couldnt see it properly and what not.

cheers mate will do, seems quite a nice and friendly forum, im keep looking for earlier tests and casncellations otherwise i got a wait:sad2:

Last edited by a moderator: