Clio 172 CUP (G) Tuning

gconnaughton

Car
Clio 172 CUP
Aup!

Im the new proud owner of a clio 172 CUP, but stuck on witch path to take when moding this beast any more. Please help!!!!!!!!!

Thanks G :blink1:

I've made this a new thread for you. The 172 is pretty lively. A lot of your options depend on how much you want to spend. Supercharger/Turbos will add lots of power but will usually need an engine rebuild.

An induction kit with cold air feed and sports exhaust will help and make the car more fun to drive. Look out for a fuel pressure boost valve to improve acceleration.

Cams are also a good mod but again can be pricey.

Aup!

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking into a supercharger but again could do with advise on: whats best /where to go / and any extras requied???? Sorry guy's but probably as you can guess im a little out of my depth here. Cars have always been a passion of mine but never really had the chance of getting my hands dirty apart from servicing. Also looked at a forced induction kit but again not sure which will be the best suited for my car? Thanks again for youe time guy's.

G

I've also been advised that the Clio 172 Cup should'nt be modded @ all as the engines tend to go with a bang???? Is this true..

Thanks G

The engines are pretty highly stressed but there is always scope for wringing out a bit more power.

The K&N kits with cold air feeds seem to be well reported on by 172 owners. If the exhaust is on its way out you should also consider a sports exhaust with a sports cat.

Forced induction is a pretty major mod and you will be looking at 3-6k to get this done well as you will need to do some internal engine work.

Hi,

When accelerating hard in 1st & 2nd, there's a quite load nocking on the front end when the wheels spin??????? I've soke to renault who state that this models prone for that and that there's nothing to worry about??????
Does anynbody know what thisis and how i can get round it????

Many Thanks G

Hi Guy's

Gutted!!!! I was on my way to work the other night to a call out and my van imobaliser decided to play up so i had to use my clio! Grrrrrrrrrr!
I pulled up at some traffic lights at the side of quite a sweet looking Mk1 clio (92reg), burgendy, lowered with black powder coated imolas. Completely stripped out interior wth a single bucket seat. i got the lads attention and we had a quick chat while waiting for that green light. He stated he was running a 1.8T engine and kicking out 230bhp!!!!!! Thats it the lights changed and off we went....... Level pegging upto 2nd. 3rd i started to pull away and then all i could hear was the wineing from his turbo and he was gone??????? My clio needs moding & quick!!!!! Please help.........

G

Ahh turbo lag - gives the belief that there is no power then it leaves the competition dead. Would that be a Vag 1.8T engine in the clio? Nice conversion idea.

Have you thought of a supercharger gc? Its probably the best thing you can do if you want to hit 230bhp.

reason you were level in 1st and 2nd is chances are the boost is limited. as stock mines doesnt give any boost in 1st and normally limited to 5psi in second. of course this will change with a remap

Cheers for reply's guy's. nice one!

Im defo looking into the supercharger option. but will it put to much stress on the engine??? Dont want to have to keep chucking money into rebuilding the engine? as i can't do it my self!!!! Any thoughts on the nocking, when accelerating????
Do you think i.ve made the wrong decision in buying a Cup?????? :mad:

VW Audi Group VAG.

The CUP is a nice car and Renault have done a really good job setting it up. The 106 GTi was the first proper renault hot hatch in recent times (after the Gordini R5 turbo). They are back on form with the 172.

If you keep the boost to modest levels you will not have a problem with knock. Water injection will also help prevent knock if you run higher boost. (There is a new article on water injection in the main site under tuning!)

Hi Guys!

Sorry been away for awhile, been working away!! looking to start modding now..
Can you recomend what forced air induction kit to buy?

Cheers! G

I've had a 17, full fat version. I had a closed IK and cold air feed that helped a little.

The knocking will be axle tramp, any high-powered fwd car can suffer from it.

I had a K&N on the Clio, but my personal favourite closed IKs are BMC CDA, only trouble is they are quite large and can be troublesome to fit in the engine bay.

Having said that, looking on my fave parts site shows this:

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/quickcode.asp?qcode=3219G

16F.jpg

Last edited: