Clio 1.2

RHogg

Car
2001 1.2 Clio
Hi Guys,
I've been driving for about a year now I love my car and I'd like to mod the engine. I've been doing research and what not and as I read in a post similar to this one I'm going to need big money in order to get a lot out of a 1.2 Clio. I don't need to get that much extra HP, just a slight advantage above other 1.2/1.3s. Basically I need a list of not too expensive parts or any advise really. I'm also doing this for the experience so any ideas, suggestions, anything! is welcome.

cheers guys

Hi mate and welcome to TorqueCars!

If you insist on modding the 1.2 then here we go:

Power wise you won't gain much from the 1.2 (an engine swap would yield the biggest gains) but you can start by getting yourself a cat-back exhaust. It won't add massive amounts of power but will increase throttle response. A 2 inch diameter would probably be best. Avoid cheap induction kits!! Get yourself a panel-filter instead. It will be much cheaper but won't ruin the performance.

Get yourself some stainless steel brake lines to improve the feel of that middle pedal. Not an expensive mod but definitely worth it.

Next up, the suspension. This will seperate your car from the other cars in your league. Start of with a set of coilovers. This will allow you to get the car nice and low (also adjustable). Get a front strut brace to improve the rigidity of the chassis at the front (the most important part of the FWD setup). Anti-roll bars can also be installed.

Get some decent tyres as well (no budget rubbish - they are cheap for a reason).

It may be a 1.2, but it will nippy and fun. Let's be honest, the motorway isn't where you have the most fun, it's the winding country lanes!

Any questions feel free.

Thank you! This is just the kind of advise I've been looking for! What kind of money would we be talking here? I'm at collage in full time education so I can't go spending mega money :/

Thank you! This is just the kind of advise I've been looking for! What kind of money would we be talking here? I'm at collage in full time education so I can't go spending mega money :/

Rough idea:

1/ Coilovers - £400+ (I've got HSD coilovers for my BMW at a cost of £817)
2/ Cat-back exhaust - £300
3/ Panel filter - £30
4/ Front upper strut brace - £100
5/ S/S brake lines - £80

Anti-rolls bars (ARBs) - £300
Tyres - £400
Total - £1610+ (give or take)

Maybe a nice set of alloys as well if you haven't already got some.

Then there is labour on top of that.

All of that done over the course of a year or 2 will make a nice little car.

Cheers guys, was really helpful :)
Once I finish the dash lights I'll put some money back for the performance parts :p